Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: submersible fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default submersible fishing lights

So I have a submersible fishing light the one with green neon and a flood halogen on the bottom. I want to know from all you veteran night fisherman out there is Do you vary the depth that you set it at? I mean,It does have a 20ft + cord. I have used it 3 times with limited success (dinks mostly). I know that they have sold surface floating lights for years and you can hang lanterns over the side of the boat, so does that mean I should be hanging my light pretty shallow over the side of the boat? or do you guys play with the depth? I mainly have fished bridge piers and channel dropoffs at night is this the best area? Whats up?? I thinking of going very soon so give me some of you good advice or maybe not so good advice, Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

ED most of the time i just hang mine just below the surface. The ones i have don,t have the flood also we fish in 20 to 40 foot of water.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I also hang my light just under the water line. I like to fish in 20 to 35' depths, troll around the area you want to fish and set up where you see bait on your depthfinder.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STUMP HUNTER View Post
    I also hang my light just under the water line. I like to fish in 20 to 35' depths, troll around the area you want to fish and set up where you see bait on your depthfinder.
    Great advise!
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I set mine down about 18" below the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

i set mine just under the surface. if you go any deeper, you probably gonna have fish wrapping around it.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

I use Hydro glows and they float at the surface. Granted it is a 4 foot tube so it covers from the surface down to 4 foot. Can't beat the glow!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

So I have been using it correctly. How long do you guys wait for bait fish to start showing up? I usually don't have a problem, they show up in just minutes. But I had a friend say they went out and it took almost a hour for minners to show? Now I probably would of moved by then but the stuck it out and ended up doing pretty well. I wonder why they put such long cords on them? maybe in case if your fishing out of a 30ft boat and the batteries are in the back and you wanna fish out of the front!!

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ed View Post
    So I have been using it correctly. How long do you guys wait for bait fish to start showing up? I usually don't have a problem, they show up in just minutes. But I had a friend say they went out and it took almost a hour for minners to show? Now I probably would of moved by then but the stuck it out and ended up doing pretty well. I wonder why they put such long cords on them? maybe in case if your fishing out of a 30ft boat and the batteries are in the back and you wanna fish out of the front!!
    Bait will come in quick if you set up close to the bait, but a lot times it will take an hour or so to pull in the crappie. Once I set up for the nightstalk I don't move unless I'm not pulling in bait. If you have bait at your light you have done your job, you just have to wait for the bait to do their job--pull the crappie to you!!!

The long cords are put into the lights because most fisherman has their batteries at the back of their boats, with the long cords you can use the light where you want it.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4