Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Boat Ramp Safety!

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Moose1am; 02-16-2006 at 10:51 AM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I lost a CAR on a slippery ramp! Had a friend back my old LTD the last few feet down the ramp while I sat in the boat. She hit the gas too hard then locked the wheels on the algae... I watched until only the tip of the antenna was above water (Had to pull her through the window, she was so scared). Couple of bluegill flopped onto the ramp when the car was hauled out by a wrecker. Debate followed: Could I keep them... "No", said the conservation agent... not caught on hook and line! Gave the drowned vehicle to the tow truck driver as payment.

Wardy Guest

Only thing bad as algae is ice. Guys pull out late in the afternoon . Next morning early.... frost and ice... Whoooooaaaa!!! Ya need elbow pads and a good helmet. I have seen several jack- knifed rigs at the ramp. The only thing that saved them was the exposed concrete in the water. Yes!! Take time to inspect the ramp before entering.

Post Thanks / Like

Love that four wheel drive.

We were out on Rush Run last week heard a guy come within an inch of losing his truck and trailer after launching his boat. It's always worse later in the year when the water is down due to dry summer conditions forcing you to back up further into the water to launch.

Moose, the copper would kill the algae, but it would also kill all the invertebrates in the area.

I use the transom mount trolling motor to drive the boat onto the trailer, keep in on "1" so it doesn't drift backwards while Doug uses our Captain Hook (Cabela's) to attach the winch rope to the bow eye. He either steps from the dock to the tailgate to wind up the rope or goes through the back door. He rarely has to get his feet wet. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, This is probably too simple to work. How about a bag of sand, or better yet a bag of chipped rock to spread on the ramp. Sure it 's inconvenient till you think of a sunken vehicle. (groan) I've experianced the ice on the ramp from boats pulling out in the winter. It's good to have a pair of clean shorts along after an unexpected slide down a boat ramp. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Moose, me my wife and daughter went down to the local boat ramp and dock last night just to get out of the house for a little while. My daughter was playing at the edge of the water on the boat ramp after I had told her not too. I told her it was very slippery and she could fall and get hurt. You know how most 10 year olds are, they dont listen very well and have to learn the hard way. She slipped and fell right in the water. Luckily it didnt hurt her, but she was soaking wet.