Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shenango lake in october

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shenango lake in october

I fished it this morning. The lake level is a foot higher than it was last weekend due to the rains we got a few days ago. Started out slow, because i didn't adjust for the rise in water. Took about an hour to figure out what i wasn't doing right. Changed my depth count and adjusted my bobbers a little deeper and hit my favorite brushpiles. 2 of us finished with 53 fish including 10 bluegills. My buddy slipped a few smaller crappies into the livewell that i would have thrown back but for the most part, most were 10 or 11". Most were caught in 14 ft, 7 ft down, on a jig/ nibble combo,under a bobber. Later in the afternoon i went to a live minnow on a gold hook and caught some nice size crappies. Met Icenut ( Bill ) and the Mrs. and Gonefishing and his buddy from the beaver valley area. Also ran into Blance ( Barry ) trolling around the mahaney area. Nice meeting all of you. Hope you had a good day out there. Any one fishing sunday morning? If so, i'll see you there. Smitty

Post Thanks / Like

Chaunc, Sure glad to hear you fellows out west are having a good year for the crappies. I can't hardly buy a fish here in N.E. I'm basically an amateur when it comes to fishing, so that doesn't help, but everywhere I go the regular folks say the fishing has been bad this year. The main lakes I hit are Hammond, (state record came from there), Tioga, and Cowanesque. All 3 are in Tioga county and are flood control reserviors. Last year the Ivan storm, and another storm this past spring put the reserviors over 20 feet above normal pool level. I'm not sure if that has effected the fishing or not. I'm 2 hours one way from the lakes, so I just don't get over there enough to learn the lake. Most fishermen are really tight lipped with any info. Could be that they just never share info, or the fishing is so tough right now they'd rather keep the honey holes to themselves. Well, I guess there's always next year?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by chaunc
    I fished it this morning. The lake level is a foot higher than it was last weekend due to the rains we got a few days ago. Started out slow, because i didn't adjust for the rise in water. Took about an hour to figure out what i wasn't doing right. Changed my depth count and adjusted my bobbers a little deeper and hit my favorite brushpiles. 2 of us finished with 53 fish including 10 bluegills. My buddy slipped a few smaller crappies into the livewell that i would have thrown back but for the most part, most were 10 or 11". Most were caught in 14 ft, 7 ft down, on a jig/ nibble combo,under a bobber. Later in the afternoon i went to a live minnow on a gold hook and caught some nice size crappies. Met Icenut ( Bill ) and the Mrs. and Gonefishing and his buddy from the beaver valley area. Also ran into Blance ( Barry ) trolling around the mahaney area. Nice meeting all of you. Hope you had a good day out there. Any one fishing sunday morning? If so, i'll see you there. Smitty

Post Thanks / Like

chauncy,
    sorry i didnt get back to you sooner, my wife who incidently catches much more than me!! and i only got a few but i did have a couplt big one 14 inch and 12 inch!Thank you as always for sharing your info my usal stuff wasn not working that day!!I d relly like to get together and fish w/ ya this season before it over!Im not sure about the outing yet also i just hate Lake arthur!!! I rather walk to shenango or wilhelm than go to aurthur!!! ANY HOW smitty you take care!! I ll see you soon on the Water

Bill(ICENUT)

Post Thanks / Like

Default shenango on rainy 7th

Hit shenango yesterday all day in the rain and found a few crappies at the celery farm. Bite was really slow but with a 15 degree drop in temp and huge rain front having just arrived, i was pleased to catch anything. This, by the way, is my first post but i've been reading posts on this site for quite some time. Thanks for all the info over the last year and i'm looking forward to giving a little feedback myself. Dave

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Took my neighbor and her daughter out today. Fished about 3.5 hrs. Caught 20 crappies between the three of us. Most were right at 10", and 3 were over 11. Caught all but 5 from the same brushpile in 13 ft, 5 foot down, on a jig and nibble. Me and the grandson are heading to lake arthur tomorrow. Not gonna fish, just attending the meeting. See you guys there.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished the lake yesterday and what a wind. Parkers landing wasn't bad. Got 2 gills on jig/nibble on the blowdowns and that was it. Nothing else bitin. Is it ice season yet?!

REDNECK