Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zebra Mussels on Pomme

Post Thanks / Like

Default Zebra Mussels on Pomme

For those of use who fish Pomme de Terre lake and others. The Missouri Department of Conservation has confirmed the presence of zebra mussel veligers (babies) on Pomme de Terre Lake. Samples taken in 3 locations (nemo bridge, P-6, and in front of dam) have all come back with high concentrations of veligers or the microscopic spawn of the zebra mussels. So far they haven't found the adults but obviously they are around. The concentrations are not as high as LOZ but high enough. Samples from Stockton were clean, and Truman was clean on two tests and inconclusive on the third (they will be re-testing). However if they are in Pomme they are in Truman. It was only a matter of time but hoped it would take longer. Lots of folks fish both Pomme and Stockton and I'm sure everyone has seen the signs at boat ramps etc. No one really knows what the impacts will be at Pomme but we will find out I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

If there are mussels in there, the Black Crappie Population will eventually exceed the White Crappie Population.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Papermouth View Post
    If there are mussels in there, the Black Crappie Population will eventually exceed the White Crappie Population.
    hey greg whats the scoop on the statement, I know not much on the zebra mussell,, other than it is considered verry bad what does it do to the white crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Mussels eat by filtering algae and other organic matter out of the water. Maybe that leads to clearer water, which black crappie prefer? That's my guess.
    Swan-Diving off the tongues of crippled giants

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    hey greg whats the scoop on the statement, I know not much on the zebra mussell,, other than it is considered verry bad what does it do to the white crappie
    Beagle, since the muscles are filter feeders, they actually clean the silt out of the water. Black crappie thrive better in clearer water than whites. I think thats what Kit was talking about. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by polvo View Post
    Mussels eat by filtering algae and other organic matter out of the water. Maybe that leads to clearer water, which black crappie prefer? That's my guess.
    Give that man a kewpie doll.
    Teach your kids to hunt and fish and you won't have to hunt for your kids !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlsiv View Post
    Give that man a kewpie doll.
    Woot! How about a giant crappie doll, eh?
    Swan-Diving off the tongues of crippled giants

Post Thanks / Like

Don't They Get Into Pumps And Stuff And Plug Them Up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Papermouth View Post
    No scientist here but agree with this statement 100%. The public campaign for zebra mussel control could only hope to stall the inevitable I believe. No knock on MO DOC or other agencies that have waged the battle because they have performed miracles. Best hope is that the result isn't disastrous, the Great Lakes have come through fairly well for the sport fisherman. Can you imagine being able to see in 10' fow at Truman? I'm probably old enough not to see it happen but some of you younger guys might. Still catch fish? Absolutely, but maybe with different techniques.

Post Thanks / Like

The fellers are correct. Clearer water = more black crappie.
    Kentucky lake is a good example. Used to be 10 whites for every black. Now the water is clear enough to see your jig at 1ft or better. Blacks are more prevalent in those areas.

g.
    Standing in the Gap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast