Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What few colors best for jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What few colors best for jigs?

I am new to using jigs and would like to know what some of yall think the best say 5 or 6 colors for jigs are. I fish the lower Alabama and Tombigbee rivers and the sloughs and lakes off these. The water runs from clear to muddy depending on rain. Any info would be nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Any color is fine as long as it's chartreuse!:D
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Imho ...

Quote Originally Posted by Allday View Post
    I am new to using jigs and would like to know what some of yall think the best say 5 or 6 colors for jigs are. I fish the lower Alabama and Tombigbee rivers and the sloughs and lakes off these. The water runs from clear to muddy depending on rain. Any info would be nice.
    ... and what I generally use, are the following :

in plastic bodies -
    Lime green/ chartreuse
    blue/char (silver flake in the blue is optional - commonly called "Electric blue")
    yellow/chartreuse
    solid chartreuse
    purple/pink (with chartreuse tail it's commonly called "popsicle")
    junebug/chartreuse
    (most any body color with a chartreuse tail is always a viable option)

hair/feather jigs :

solid white
    solid chartreuse
    solid pink

But, you know ... considering the variety of these colors, and the variety of colors that others have mentioned before, I'm not sure there's a color or color combination that won't work :p .... provided, of course, that you get the jig in the fish's face

If you just want to start out with a few, just to guage how you'll like fishing with jigs ... white, greens, blues, and chartreuse (alone or in combination) wouldn't be a bad starting point. When I first started using jigs for Crappie ... white was about the only color jig (marabou) that I even bothered to use. Chartreuse was added, a little later on, for more dingy/murky waters ... but, was found to work just fine in clearer water, too. I probably carry 50 colors or combinations, now ... and have yet to find one that doesn't work (when they're biting). My fishing partners and I usually start out using different colors ... and we may start using the same color, if one starts catching fish ... but, there's times when we don't switch, and catch fish on totally different colors.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiepappy is right again (as usual). If they are biting well, color not all important. I think its the way the bait is worked, how fast it falls, how fast its retreived that matters most. My fishing buddy tore a moccasin blue finesse worm in and put it on a 1/16 jig head the other day and caught the heck out of them including the largest of the day, a 14 incher!
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    ... and what I generally use, are the following :

in plastic bodies -
    Lime green/ chartreuse
    blue/char (silver flake in the blue is optional - commonly called "Electric blue")
    yellow/chartreuse
    solid chartreuse
    purple/pink (with chartreuse tail it's commonly called "popsicle")
    junebug/chartreuse
    (most any body color with a chartreuse tail is always a viable option)

hair/feather jigs :

solid white
    solid chartreuse
    solid pink

But, you know ... considering the variety of these colors, and the variety of colors that others have mentioned before, I'm not sure there's a color or color combination that won't work :p .... provided, of course, that you get the jig in the fish's face

If you just want to start out with a few, just to guage how you'll like fishing with jigs ... white, greens, blues, and chartreuse (alone or in combination) wouldn't be a bad starting point. When I first started using jigs for Crappie ... white was about the only color jig (marabou) that I even bothered to use. Chartreuse was added, a little later on, for more dingy/murky waters ... but, was found to work just fine in clearer water, too. I probably carry 50 colors or combinations, now ... and have yet to find one that doesn't work (when they're biting). My fishing partners and I usually start out using different colors ... and we may start using the same color, if one starts catching fish ... but, there's times when we don't switch, and catch fish on totally different colors.

... cp
    Thanks for the info. Last Sat. I put 8 keepers in the boat with black/chart. and silver/chart. tipped with minnows. I have not really tried without tipping yet. It's hard to put down the minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

The best color is "presentation".

But, generally lite colors in clear water and dark colors in drker/dingy water.

Post Thanks / Like

Blue/pink
    Black/chart.
    Pink/chart.
    Purple/pink
    Orange/chart.
    Those are some of my favorites!!!
    Bobby Garland Pro Staff Bass Pro Shop Pro Staff
    Hi-Tek Pro Staff
    Denali Rods Pro Staff Road Runner Pro Staff
    K2 Coolers Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

In the lakes I fish it's Black/Chartreuse,Black/Chartreuse,Black/Chartreuse,Black/Chartreuse,Black/Chartreuse,Black/Chartreuse. Oh did I mention it's Black/Chartreuse:D:D:D:D and the crappie slider is the best of the baits in that color.
    Last edited by Blackhawk19; 08-11-2009 at 03:25 PM.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

I use 2' Midsouth tubes. Black and chartreuse is going to be #1, I use it primarily early and late, when the sun is not shining on the water. In the bright sun lately I catch most of the crappie on:
    pink/white,
    pink/chartreuse
    blue/white
    blue/chartreuse

Post Thanks / Like

Clear Water I like Silver/LT. Blue/White a lot and all mine would have feather tails. If cloudy I also like Chart/Same Blue/Chart tail.

Stained I like several. It is easier to show a picture...

Skip

Clear water, but the bottom one is great on both clear and stained.

Some good ones for stained...

Some new ones I have not tried, but really like and the colors can be any kind of jigs....

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast