Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: post your jon boat setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default post your jon boat setup

Im looking to rig my John boat for crappie fishing. I have seen pics of several guys here fishing out of john boats. I love fishing out of my john and love how it sits low in the water when shooting docks. Please post pictues of your boats so that I can get a idea of setting up my boat.

I have a 14ft alumacraft with a 40 tahatsu stick steer no floors no carpet. Its a nice river boat and fun to shoot docks with. I want to start fishing out of this boat more and would love to make it more fisher friendly for 2 people. I have a new motor guide trolling motor and a lowrance x135 mounted on the rear. Im looking for something to mount to the trolling motor and a good gps for marking trees and other structure (any suggestions). I have found lots of used sonars on ebay for $100 or less just not sure what to get. I also dont have any idea how to use a gps or what to look for when buying one I will take suggestions on that also.

I have heard of a switch that will allow you to use 2 transducers with 1 sonar but I Cant find it. If any of you have one and would like to help a fellow fisheman out please let me know... or would it just be better to by another unit for the trolling motor? I know a transducer is around $50-$60 for the x135 and not sure how much the switch is so if I would come out cheaper or better off with another sonar I will do that.

Help me set up my little jon boat without breaking the bank. I look forward to seeing pictures of yalls jon boat setups!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Bobberstop; 08-10-2009 at 02:53 AM.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I set up my 1860 Landau jon for the methods of fishin that I use most often...

This is my spider riggin setup.....

Now, I realize your boat is not as wide as mine and you probably don't have room for 2 people side by side in the front.....but I also have a spider riggin setup where I can fish out the front and my partner can fish out the back...

I sit on the front deck fishin forward and my partner sits in front of the rear bench facing rearward....

For my stationary night fishin I have pedistal bases in the floor so I can move the seats "down into" the boat....I feel it's a little safer sittin lower in the boat when it's dark.....

For castin I sit on the front deck and my partner sits on the rear deck....

Basically I have pedistal bases mounted in several different places so I can move the seats around to accomodate the method of fishin for that day.....

As for your FF question...I like having 2 separate units on my boat so if 1 craps outs in the middle of fishin...I can use the other and keep fishin...

As for your GPS question I like the E-Trex because it's simple...like my brain...
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

I sold my Jon a few years ago to get a boat that was safer in large reservoirs. Here is what I did to customize it before I sold it.

Keith Davis' Home Page
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Switch box ... FYI

LEI Extras

Your unit is listed(right hand box).

You might also want to check eBay and see if any transducer switch boxes are listed ... but, I wouldn't buy one unless the seller guaranteed it worked or will take it back & refund your $$ (if it don't).

They also have the TM (puck style) transducer for your unit ... $70 + $12.50 S/H
    You may well be better off getting a totally seperate unit and puck style transducer for the front (TM mount).

I defer you to the other members, for the other equipment questions

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Dont have it rigged to spider rig, but heres my setup, and it works great for me!

HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Locater, That boat would be perfect for where I fish.

Post Thanks / Like

It goes everywhere!
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Nice rigs guys! I wish mine had a casting deck but it don't... I think this is why I can't figure out how to rig my boat. Mine is the type with 2 benches and the little bench up front. I had a fabrication shop quote me on putting a deck on my jon and would have almost in it as I do the entire boat!

Keep the pics and ideas coming! And thanks for the ideas and info given thus fer.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Bobberstop....I wouldn't want to be sitting very high in a 14 footer anyway....

If you mostly shoot docks....I think most people do that standing up....and standing up on a raised deck in a 14 footer might be pretty unstable....

You might think about just putting a floor in your boat with pedistal bases in the floor..... and in your benches..... and use the small deck in front for your TM and maybe some configuration of rod holders (if you think you might be interested in spider riggin)...

If you notice in my pic....my home made rod holders screw right in to flush mount 3/4 pin style pedistal bases....I can move the rod holders anywhere in the boat that I have a pedistal base...
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Imho ...

Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    Bobberstop....I wouldn't want to be sitting very high in a 14 footer anyway....
    If you mostly shoot docks....I think most people do that standing up....and standing up on a raised deck in a 14 footer might be pretty unstable....
    You really don't want to be sitting high in any boat ... for dock shooting.
    I do alot of dock shooting when I go to Watts Bar, each Spring & Fall ... fishing out of a 17ft Tracker TX17 (raised decks). I don't usually stand to shoot a dock .. I usually sit. The closer you are to the water's surface, the better skip angle you get from your jig. Even when sitting, occasionally I will bend over and lean forward out of the seat, to make my shot. Some of my other dock shooter buddies will even go into the open slip of a dock, and shoot from there ... and they're in a boat without raised decks. It's a bit easier for them to do so, than it is for us. (of course none of us do it without prior permission from the dock owner).

... cp

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast