Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Longview Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Longview Lake

I finally had time to devote an entire morning to fishing so I decided to try out Longview lake. I haven't visited this lake in many years but was looking forward to spending a morning with my wife and hopefully catching some fish. I wish I could say we caught our limit but we only caught 7-8 small fish using live minnows 12' deep in 20' of water off standing timber.

I tried every combination of artificials I could think of and never even had a bite. I tried maraibou jigs (pink, chartreuse, and white), Slab Slayers in (pink/chartreuse and black/chartreuse) and tube jigs in blue/white). I tightlined them, used bobbers, and slowly cranked them but never had a tap. I love using soft plastic lures and Im used to fishing them for bass but have never caught a single crappie off them. Am I fishing these incorrectly or do you think its just been bad timing?
    Remember, its the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Post Thanks / Like

I hit longview today too. Caught a couple decent fish, and 20 or so short ones. My normal patter was off. The best fish I caught were in 10ft or less.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdwsdw1 View Post
    I finally had time to devote an entire morning to fishing so I decided to try out Longview lake. I haven't visited this lake in many years but was looking forward to spending a morning with my wife and hopefully catching some fish. I wish I could say we caught our limit but we only caught 7-8 small fish using live minnows 12' deep in 20' of water off standing timber.

I tried every combination of artificials I could think of and never even had a bite. I tried maraibou jigs (pink, chartreuse, and white), Slab Slayers in (pink/chartreuse and black/chartreuse) and tube jigs in blue/white). I tightlined them, used bobbers, and slowly cranked them but never had a tap. I love using soft plastic lures and Im used to fishing them for bass but have never caught a single crappie off them. Am I fishing these incorrectly or do you think its just been bad timing?
    Sorry to hear about the small catch. But, you were out on the water. Better than nothing.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

congrats to you two, got out and had a good time, caught a few, hope you catch bigger ones on your next trip go get em

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what that lake and me have against one another but there is some major dislikes! I have done well there at times and there are some pretty good fish in there. That place drives me mad though! I am a pattern sort of guy, even if it is a bad pattern. For me it changes there everytime I fish it! I can drill them pretty good one day, come back the next and it is like I am on a different lake. It drives me mad! I can be on the water in 10 minutes and yet I just don't hit it much anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever fish Prairie Lee Lake much? I have caught plenty of bass and catfish from there but havent fished it for crappie.
    Remember, its the second mouse that gets the cheese.