Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twain report 8/9

Post Thanks / Like

Default Twain report 8/9

Got the honey-do list whittled down a bit Saturday, so got the crew outta bed at 3am, on the road at 3:30, and at the SouthFork boat ramp at 6:30 after a stop at WallyWorld for sammiches and at the Junction for minnows and a fishing report and letting the kids visit the crocodile (or alligator, whatever that thing is).

Caught fish steadily all morning, but not exactly a breakneck pace, and a LOT of little fish. Had a couple of limits easy of 8"-9" fish, we ended up keeping and cleaning 8 between 10-11", but none with any shoulders on 'em.

Covered a good portion of the lake trying to find the bite and some respite from the wind - best luck was on the North Fork, 18-25' of water, and 8-10' down. I caught a few on black/chart slabbusters, rest on minnows.

Had a White F-150 with a C.C decal on it parked right next to me when we took out about 2, looked like a big blue Sea-Ray trailer. Didn't see nary a boat near the ramp, so a howdy will have to wait until next time!

Son managed to break my new Ozark rod I picked up at Everharts after the Sparrowfoot outing. He was using my rod and had a small catfish (17", couple pounds) take his minnow and when he tried to lift it in the boat, SNAP went the tip section. Guess we'll be headed back out to Truman again in the next couple of weekends... drive is a killer, but the fishing is consistently better - and I'll have to swing by Everharts and get me a new rod tip.
    Last edited by rlsiv; 08-09-2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Add detail
    Teach your kids to hunt and fish and you won't have to hunt for your kids !!

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I sent you a PM about the rod tip. You posting about how far you have to drive to catch fish makes me realize how good I have it only being minutes away.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you had a good day and sorry about the Ozark. I know what you mean about the drive to Truman it is a killer but the fishing is great. How far are you from Truman? It takes me 2 1/2 hours to get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pole Bender View Post
    How far are you from Truman? It takes me 2 1/2 hours to get there.
    2.5 is about our distance to M.Twain, so its the closest large lake for us (not counting a few smaller ones on the IL side), but just isn't producing crappie for us like in the past. We Did see a TON of baitfish, and quite a few large fish feeding at the surface all day. Might break out the Green Carp rods next trip up there.
    Its 5.5 hrs to Bucksaw at Truman. About 11hrs of driving round-trip to enjoy a day and a half of fishing - if we leave immediately after work on a Fri.

LOZ is only about 3.5 to the NE corner, but wife can't stand being anywhere near that place on a weekend unless its cold enough for a jacket. Something about being uncomfortable when the Skeeter takes flight.

We're actually only about 4.5hrs from Kentucky Lake and went there a couple of times last year.

One of these days when the wife and I reach the age when our kids will have to support us, we hope to move out to one of the lakes, or a Lot closer anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're the grand champion for racking up the most 'frequent fishing miles.'

We need to do some local fishing! If any exists. lol
    Swan-Diving off the tongues of crippled giants

Post Thanks / Like

Jared - thanks for the PM on the rod tip - I just spoke w/Tony and he is shipping me a new one. Gotta love it. Our first year with Ozark rods (one he gave my son at spring Crappie Camp, and the other one I picked up recently at Everhart's), and I'm loving them (except for the catfish mishap yesterday)... Good product, and Tony seems like a stand-up guy.
    Someday when I think the wife and I are getting along TOO well and we ought to try spider-rigging instead , I'll have to get a few more Ozarks. :D

Polvo - Yeah, as you know, "local" crappie fishing for us is hit or miss, with a lot more "miss". I'd hate to think what I spend on gas per lb of fish caught! Oh well. Could have worse habits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlsiv View Post

I'd hate to think what I spend on gas per lb of fish caught! Oh well. Could have worse habits.
    Ralph, I was just telling my wife about how far you have to drive last night. It's crazy man, that is dedication for sure. I was thinking the hour and twenty minutes seems like a long drive. YOU THE MAN!!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, rather to skid in sideways, body used up and totally worn out screaming 'WOO~HOO what a ride!'

Post Thanks / Like

rl and polvo, We need to hookup. All 3 of us are close. Maybe we could come up with an idea or a plan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twains Crappie Dan View Post
    rl and polvo, We need to hookup. All 3 of us are close. Maybe we could come up with an idea or a plan.
    Sounds like a plan to me. We fish Goose Creek lake here and there, but recently it's been craptastic. We plan on fishing the Meramec some, but it can take awhile to learn the river. Ralph has some experience with it I think.

Where do you live?
    Swan-Diving off the tongues of crippled giants

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twains Crappie Dan View Post
    My Plan: We blow up the levee by Chesterfield, flood that valley, and in a few years all those buildings will make some GREAT structure for some Lake Chesterfield crappie! :rolleyes:

OR we could hookup and hit some of the places closer to home. I've heard some good things about Rend and crab orchard over in IL, or we could hit the meremac for a bit - always catch a handful there, but never a limit.
    I'd be up for a road-trip to someplace w/some Crappie, too!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast