Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smithville 8/9

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville 8/9

Started out at 7:30. It was very windy, water temp was 81, and a foot or more clarity. Started out fishing the brush pile in front of the Corp's Visitor Center by the dam. Caught a lot of dinks and only one keeper. I headed north above the W bridge to area 1. This area was great this past Tuesday evening at sun down. I caught a lot of large crappie in deep water and 6-10' down. Today - nothing! I got real tired of the wind and then headed to area 2. Water was even clearer. I caught 12 keepers. Had to go from tree to catch the keepers. Had a real good time. Ran into a lot of bass guys and they were not having a good day today.

I wanted to comment on an observation and see if you guys see the same thing. I've noticed that when I fish deep water I catch mainly white crappie. When I fish places like area 2 (15' of water and real clear), I catch black crappie. I've noticed that I catch a lot more black crappie in the back of coves in more shallow, still, and clear water. Main lake and deep water seem to hold whites. What have you guys noticed?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Alex about the whites and blacks I've only have caught one black this year but I have been fishing deeper water. Dave
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

same thing on stockton, blacks like the clear,rocky waters, and seems they like it a little shallow also, by the way congrats on the good day,

Post Thanks / Like

Good report.

Just wish I got to fish enough to notice the difference in where the blacks and whites are at.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, rather to skid in sideways, body used up and totally worn out screaming 'WOO~HOO what a ride!'

Post Thanks / Like

In general blacks prefer clearer water and whites tolerate dingier water better. That's why most of the guys fishing above Trimble in the spring catch fewer blacks. Blacks also key in on insects for a longer period than whites. Whites switch to eating fish as soon as they can get them in their mouths. Blacks often prefer vegetation to brush (more insects) and can be found much shallower than whites as a result. Especially in the fall I catch a lot of blacks around aquatic vegetation and some of the bigger blacks of the year too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MOfishmgr View Post
    In general blacks prefer clearer water and whites tolerate dingier water better. That's why most of the guys fishing above Trimble in the spring catch fewer blacks. Blacks also key in on insects for a longer period than whites. Whites switch to eating fish as soon as they can get them in their mouths. Blacks often prefer vegetation to brush (more insects) and can be found much shallower than whites as a result. Especially in the fall I catch a lot of blacks around aquatic vegetation and some of the bigger blacks of the year too.
    Thanks for the info. I was always wondering why I always would get black crappie in the back of coves and whites in deeper water. I look forward to meeting you on the 22nd for the crappie tournament.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice report

You are pretty percise in your map circling also.... nice touch....... was the crowd down a little with the wind??? was on Truman Saturday.... and Today also......
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beagle You Should

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    same thing on stockton, blacks like the clear,rocky waters, and seems they like it a little shallow also, by the way congrats on the good day,
    MAKE MAPS LIKE THIS ON STOCKTON. YOU SEEM TO KNOW WHERE FISH ARE BETTER THAN THE REST.

LIKE MONTY SAID. NICE TOUCH APKAPE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olesilverside View Post
    You are pretty percise in your map circling also.... nice touch....... was the crowd down a little with the wind??? was on Truman Saturday.... and Today also......
    Thanks for the compliment. The lake was light for fishing. You found most boats in coves that were sheltered from the wind. There were some boat in area 1 for bit, but it didn't take long from them to move.

How's the fishing been in your neck of the woods? I'm still planning on making it down there sometime this year to try both Truman and LOZ out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOOKEDONFISHIN' View Post
    MAKE MAPS LIKE THIS ON STOCKTON. YOU SEEM TO KNOW WHERE FISH ARE BETTER THAN THE REST.

LIKE MONTY SAID. NICE TOUCH APKAPE
    Thanks HOF.