Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Fall Feeding Frenzy Is Officially On.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Fall Feeding Frenzy Is Officially On.

With surface temps in the mid 70s and real nice crappie thumping a bare jig “On-The-Fall” as shallow as 5-feet well over the top of our brushpiles this morning I officially declared that the Fall Feeding Frenzy is ON!!!

Darryl, Jim and I had a ball this morning while we were supposed to be doing some scouting and putting down some more condos on Greeson. After an hour or so of catching more tight-lining jigs with pole-in-hand than we were on minnows under slip floats that we had out in rod holders we headed for shallower water and just fished jigs. We kept 30 and released about that many.

Jim caught the Green Carp in the picture, several smaller ones and a baby striper.

The crappie have been gradually getting a lot more aggressive lately (especially the white crappie) and fighting harder and we’ve had several jump right out of the water this week. I had a 15-incher jump about 2-feet out of the water this morning right at the boat, with slack in the line. When he hit my jig about 15-feet deep I knew he was on his way up like a rocket because I immediately had slack in the line. Even though I set the hook and was sweeping my 11-foot pole up over my shoulder and reeling as fast as I could I never did catch up with him before he jumped. Fortunately he was hooked real well in the roof of his mouth so I was able to get him in the net after he splashed down.

It's the fish on the far right in the picture - yep it's a crappie. It was the thickest white crappie I've seen in a long time.

Anyway, we did end up getting three good bamboo condos dropped so we’ll have even more fall spots to fish.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Awesome!

Jerry; I'm sitting here at work and you all are making me sick! That's a great pile of fish and I'm glad you officially called in the fall frenzy cause I might get to go about 3 times this next week, fishing before our first tourney. Of coarse I'd be happy with just 10 like your 15 incher! :D Keep'em coming.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Water temp in the low 70s? You are lucky to have it cool off this early. Water temp was 82-85 degrees here this morning. Caught them over condos in 25'+ about 12' deep.

I couldn't catch any little shad. Shad I used were 3 inches. I had shiners also. Crappie eat big shad. I saw that this morning. I figured I'd hook a big hybrid on them but all I caught were good size crappie with shad. Had more fish on shiners but the bigger fish were on those big ole shad. One hybrid on a small shiner.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

I love it when they wack it on the fall. I go lighter at times just to entice them to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

thats some good looking fish . I'll be glad when it cools down here
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice mess of fish Jerry. It brings a tear to my eye I want to go so bad. Maybe soon.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry and Forum Members:
    Several states away, but the bite was on today at Ft. Phantom Hill Lake, outside Abilene, Texas. Water temps ran 84 until the front came through this week and was 76 degrees this a.m. with another front due in at mid-week. Launched the boat and wham the hybrids were surfacing right by the ramp with zero other boats around. Caught three good ones at 7, 9 and 12 and quite a few smaller ones on topwater, but all C&R.
    After the fun went after the crappie and caught 18 (10.5 to 13 inch)(limit =25 in Texas with 10 inch minimum) in a typical Fall pattern and more FUN. No specific depth, just check all the spots from 8 feet to 15 feet and they were thumping the Reapers Creepers jigs (1/32 and 1/64) made by Crappie Reaper from Oklahoma, but typical fall in that I had to move around as they are wandering. Shad are slightly over thumbnail size still so the smaller jigs were the ticket. Best color today was white/chart and hot pink/black/hot pink. I appreciate the information I am gaining from the knowledge of the forum members. Better bite were on docks I had placed willow branches/trees around. Anxious to try the methods I am hearing about such as spider-rigging, and slow trolling when the water temps. drop. Shocked that very, very few even try those methods on the Texas Lakes.
    Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

Glad those jigs are producing for you Mud. I was going to go this a.m. Way too much wind and lightening for me. Will try again in the a.m., but will have to be a short trip. Friends in from Calif and must make an appearance.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

The bite was on here this morning too!Water temps were also in the 70"s-Despite a green carp tourney going on I managed to catch 29.Had 13 keepers ,with a 14& a15[both white].All were caught over down trees in 15-25 ft. of water using jigs!!Ya gotta love Fall!!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the biggest crappie I think I've ever had on...come off right at the boat. It sucked big time. It might have been 2.5-3 lbs. I know it was over 2. It was a real hawg and it made me sick. Other than that I didn't really catch much. A few little ones and a stripe. We need another few days with night time temps in the 50's. Surface temp still around 80. But I have a feeling fishing will be right by next weekend.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast