Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hydrafoil question

ray Guest

Question hydrafoil question

some people have them, others dont. are they worth the money? what brand? do they help gas consumtion? how about size of motor, does that make a difference? I have a 40 hp Merc, '98 should I try one? any comments would be appreciated. Thank You one and all.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ray
    some people have them, others dont. are they worth the money? what brand? do they help gas consumtion? how about size of motor, does that make a difference? I have a 40 hp Merc, '98 should I try one? any comments would be appreciated. Thank You one and all.
    I have one on my 16 ft bass boat with a 150 merc. I can get on plane quicker and maintain plane at a much lower speed. My buddy had one on a 16 ft tracker with a 25 merc. It really didn't make much difference on his. If you are slow on getting on plane, it may help. I also don't slide as much in a turn as I use to.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I feel it made a big difference with my 17' tracker with a 40 merc.
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

don`t think it will work on all setups but it will slow you down on top end speed some . i had one on a 50 hp now i have a 55 without one . it gits out of the water fast enough . i have another bass boat with a 70 on it if it got on plane anyfaster don`t think it could . might try it and see . when i git a speedomiter . or a g p s to check the speed .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

I had one on a 14 aluminum boat with a 25hp and no trim...the boat wanted to ride bow high no matter where I pinned it...the foil allowed it to take rough water very well, and plane very well, although the top speed dropped 2mph.
    In my opinion...they are fine for smaller boats/motors. They obviously put pressure on the foot by doing what they do, so faster, harder pressure wouldn't be good in my opinion.
    I've seen rave reviews of "smart tabs" which seem to provide the same benefits with usaully an increase in speed rather than a loss, althought at a somewhat greater expense. I'll be trying these on my 17.5' Smokercraft when she gets a new engine.
    Snal~
    1992 Alumacraft 14' Jon Boat w/ 15hp Johnson
    1988 Party Barge w/Rude 90hp (project finished!)
    1994 C Dory 22 Angler w/ twin Honda 45's
    7 Kayaks, 1 canoe
    www.snartracing.com (my other passion)

Post Thanks / Like

I put one on my 75 hp Force to help get it up on plane. I run a 18-1/2 ft Spectrum and it really made a difference on it. I have a dolph-finn and wouldn't want to be without it. If you fish a lot of tree stumps than it might be a detriment for your lower unit.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

ray Guest

thanks to all who responded. appreciate it very much-- I have a 16ft tracker and think I will try one. It does want to 'ride high' on one side even with a light side breeze and am hoping that the hydrafoil would help that problem, also with live well full (in rear) it takes a bit to get up and plane. In cabela's there are 2 types, the sting ray and the SE sport,either one cost is the same, any suggestions?[B]

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

when by your self try puting some weight on the other side . like coolrt with ice and drinks . the narrower the boat the mor of that probablem you will have. seen a man on the river with a small 9.9 14 ft. he would carry a buckett of sand to hold the frunt down . he said that was his fishing partner :D . boat is like a airplane you have to balance it out
    retired and now i will always fish

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ray
    thanks to all who responded. appreciate it very much-- I have a 16ft tracker and think I will try one. It does want to 'ride high' on one side even with a light side breeze and am hoping that the hydrafoil would help that problem, also with live well full (in rear) it takes a bit to get up and plane. In cabela's there are 2 types, the sting ray and the SE sport,either one cost is the same, any suggestions?[B]
    I'm using the SE model. The only thing I don't like about it is it makes the T & T very sensitive. But I've gotten use to it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I also got the SE Model. I was having the same problem with my Tracker live well in the rear on getting up on plain.
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast