Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: August is the month for crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default August is the month for crappie

Two master anglers on 7-2-09. A 16'' and a 16 and 7/8''. Quite a few bucket benders all month. We had a fry last Sunday and still munching on them. All were caught on tube jigs, mainly vertical jigging in the afternoon/evening.

A hog

Close Up

1st MA Released

Close Up

Bucket Bender

Sharpen the Knife

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry should have said JULY is the month for crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Those are a couple of very nice Crappie. How about a little more info on where, lake or pond, private or State Lakes. Water temp, depth of water and how deep they were when caught. Was they caught in Nebr, or a near by State? What color jigs were used to catch them? Any info is helpful. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Eager, Congradulations on 41st!!!! I read it on the other post. Our 30th is coming soon. The boy and I fish some large and small farm ponds throughout eastern Ne. They are scattered through friends/family. We don't use live bait (with the exception of last year-it was super tough after the initial bite) but exclusively use jigs. This year the hot colors seemed to be white (clear water), chartruse/pink, and black silver with speckles. For the most part the ponds are fairly shallow. Deepest 23' and the shallowest 5'. We vary between casting, vertical jigging, and trolling. One of these 3 will work on a given day depending on water clarity and month of year. Crappie seem to be very fickle and finniky at all times and a pattern has to be found almost every outing. BTW, I used to fish Beaver in the late 80's-early 90's. A lot owner friend and I caught a whole bunch over 1 spot each and every time we went. They were decent fish and I dont recall the exact length, but all over 11'' for sure. Hope the info helps. Good luck and keep the reports coming. ckh

Post Thanks / Like

I figured you were fishing private ponds, with the size of fish you are catching. You won't find that quality of fish in public lakes on this end of the State. There are just to many people fishing, for not much water(acres). Especially around the Omaha and Lincoln areas. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Default August wasn't my month

Nice fish!

We didn't catch much of anything in August but throwbacks. Now September has been a little different (see pics). Last weekend we caught 15 8,9,10" Gills and over 30 11"-14" Crappies. Weeee
    Last edited by O61; 09-21-2009 at 11:20 PM. Reason: inserting photo

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with you CKH i have had lots of luck with catching big crappies in july. The verticle tube jigs is the way to go without question i hope to read more post from you it seams like i could learn a lot about catching big crappies from you