Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Truman lake and new to crappie fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to Truman lake and new to crappie fishing

My Dad just bought a place on Truman lake. We've fished for catfish on lakes and rivers my whole life but I would love to switch to crappie fishing and switch him as well. I've been reading these forums for several months now and have learned a lot. I was able to get out last weekend and fish some standing timber. Caught 5 nice crappie in a couple of hours. I was very happy with my first outing but I just felt a little lost out there. I tied up to some trees and dipped around for 5 to 10 minutes per tree. It was quite a hassle to tie and untie all of the time. Do you all tie up or just troll around the edges? I'm also new to running a trolling motor so thats why I tied up so I would not keep beating the boat into the branches. It was also very akward to get the boat lined up so we could both reach the tree. Any and all tips would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site. I usually don't tie up because I feel that it may make the larger fish or most of the fish move off the tree due to the boat pulling on the tree. I like to fish the entire tree so I just work around it or if its not that big of a tree I'll just fish the entire tree from one location. As for getting you and your dad on the same tree have him fish the front of the boat next to you. Just my two pennies! Again welcome to the site.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to CDC. I like to use the trolling motor and just get close enough to reach the tree. A little practice and you will have it down. I also would have your partner fish next to you in the front to dip trees or you can work out a plan where you fish one side and your partner fishes the other as you are going by trees.

Post Thanks / Like

Default first welcome to the site from Windsor

I have done a lot of hooking up to a tree, mainly cedars, and still do, but you will need to sharpen your trolling motor skills and learn to always keep the boat into the wind if it is windy, and a lot of times it is..... then learn with at least a 10' rod like a Ozark ultra lite, or a Outlaw....... then you can stay a little ways from the trees and like said have Dad move right up behind you..... really just a trip or two and you can master it....... then you get to learn which trees are the best...... hardwoods, cedars, hedge....... flat areas, point, ledges...... this is enough for tonight....... good luck and ask away anytime.........
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site from Truman lake. Lots of good information on here just keep looking. Lots of guys on here who fish Truman and give great reports.

Post Thanks / Like

More of what they said, and more to come,,,,,,,,, keep working that trolling motor, it won't take but a few trips and you'll get the hang of it,,,,go INTO the wind, you can let off and won't ram the tree which some think spooks the fish,,,,, long rods, Dad can reach the tree that way,,,,,, and have fun is the main thing.

Oh, and welcome.

Bulletman
    Bulletman aka Tommy

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Marshall MO.
    I don't have one of those "fancy" trolling motors like allot of these guys have so I get close if it is calm and drift by the trees, I'll even use oars. Otherwise, I tie off to the trees but don't have allot of luck. My brother uses the PVC limb grabbers when he is in the trees and it keeps the boat away from the trees pretty well if its not too windy, you can buy them or make some really cheap. Just a piece of PVC a few feet long with a noose on the end to grab the limbs and tie the other end to the cleat of the boat.
    Get with some of the folks that fish Truman allot, they like the company and love teaching us new guys ALL of their tricks
    Good Luck
    Q
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the quick replys. This site is great. I did buy a 10 ft pole but it was just a cheap Wally Marshall rod and real for $35. Are the Ozark brand or BnM brands that much better? My Dad seems to think he doesn't need one that long. I guess he'll change his mind if I keep skunking him. We do have one of the pvc ties...it worked pretty good but we still moved around quite a bit and got the boat hung up on some of the underwater branches a few times.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Springfield!
    My boat is to small to have two in the front....So the one in back gets my misses....Which is usually more than MY GETS!
    I just KNOW it was a big one!!!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site. Yes the Ozarks, Outlaws, ProAnglers, Quantums and B and M's are that much better. Get one of the others and fish with it a while and then pick up the wally rod, you'll probably throw the wally in the lake!

With a few trips you will get the hang of the long rods and the trolling motor. Just keep going and it will get a little better every time.

Good Luck,

Brad
    Can You Find, "LIMITVILLE!!!" :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast