Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bill H-Trolling motor plugs

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bill H-Trolling motor plugs

Bill, look in Cabelas Marine 2004 catalog page 37. You will see the plug, receptacle and 6ga adapter. I have one that I ordered from Ellett Bros(Marine Dist.) and it is made by Marinco. I think Marinco makes this plug for MK & Cabelas. If I can be of any help e-mail me. DonG---Grahams Forge, VA

PS: If you don,t have the catalog pull Cabelas up on their website.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here is the direct link to that web site page

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...276&hasJS=true

Have you guys seen the size of a 6 gauge wire? It's about the same diameter of one of your fingers. Now that is some huge wire.

I purchased two spools of 10 gauge wire and it cost me about 40 bucks. I can only imagine what 150ft of 6 gauge wire would cost these days.

Are you guys using solid 6 gauge wire or multistrand 6 gauge wire.

And why don't they make a 7 or a 9 gauge wire LOL Comedian Steven Write wants to know?

Quote Originally Posted by DonG
    Bill, look in Cabelas Marine 2004 catalog page 37. You will see the plug, receptacle and 6ga adapter. I have one that I ordered from Ellett Bros(Marine Dist.) and it is made by Marinco. I think Marinco makes this plug for MK & Cabelas. If I can be of any help e-mail me. DonG---Grahams Forge, VA

PS: If you don,t have the catalog pull Cabelas up on their website.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I also have another question for any of you electrical engineers out there. Can you get more amps via two 10 gauge wires as compared to using only one 6 gauge wire? I know when you are getting water to a fire you can quadruple your water flow when you double the number or lines or the diameter of the fire hose. Note with the same pump pressure or hydrant pressure. Does the electron flow in wires do the same thing as water in a fire hose?

Just curious.

I could run two more strands of 10 gauge wire from the back of my boat to the front of my boat. But I think that my trolling motor All Terrain 50AT Minn-Kota has enough juice now with the 10 gauge wires. I am sure that I could get more current with 6 gauge wires but right now I don't fell like fooling with my boat's wiring any more. I am sure that others will want to consider this if they are updating or getting a new boat. I am sure that the larger wire would give you more power and be more effecient too. If you can afford a new boat then get the larger diameter wire if you can.

I was looking at the charts on current flow in 10 gauge wire at different temps (resistance in the wire goes up with temp and therefore the wire can carry less current. Also the lenght of the wire will cause the current flow to drop for longer wires as compared to short runs of wireing. )

My manual called for a 35 to 40 amp circuit breaker between my battery's pos terminal and my trolling motor. I installed a new 35 amp circuit breaker in my boat yesterday and it's working OK now. I need to test the new wiring under a good load out on the lake to make sure that it's going to work and not blow the 30 amp fuse that I have installed inline at the back of my boat where the hot wire connects to my trolling motor battery. Hopefully that fuse holder and that 30 amp fuse will hold up. It better because it's in the compartment with my gasoline tanks. I need to really make sure that that fuse holder and that fuse are not getting too hot. The compartment is open to the air and not completley enclosed.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that is the plug I've been looking for.

Moose1AM - Always use stranded wire in a boat. The solid will work, but after a while it will break from vibrations.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Moose, when you parallel two wires together,yes you have the capacity to carry more current.But, the rule is, one number 6 guage wire equals two number nines, any single wire go up three sizes for paralleling. you also must consider the type of insulation around the wire. I used 150 degrees C,for my boat. Also, your only talking about DC current, without getting into alot of theory... DC current is not as destructive as AC current... my trolling motors is rated for 95 amps. I used one number 8 guage 150 degrees C wire with a 10 amp fuse and 3 amps for my fishing T.V. ....as wife wife calls it. At 35 amps... number ten wire will be sufficient for your application. Off the top of my head one number ten wire in free air should be good for about 50 to 60 amps. Stranded wire is more than sufficient. Resistance is in opposition to current provided by the conductor. The lower the guage of the wire,the lower it's resistance. The lower the resistance of a wire, the higher its current capacity at a specified voltage.

I don't know much, but I do know ohms law.

1. Current increases as a result of,
    a. An increase in the applied voltage.
    b. A decrease in the circuit resistance.
    2. Current decreases as a result of,
    a. A decrease in the applied voltage.
    b. An increase in the circuit resistance.

I hope I got that right...lol. Don't go out and buy wire in great quantities anymore,if you have time, just ask me to get what you need and I'll mail it to you. Well unless it is 2 spools of wire, we always have twenty and thirty feet lenths thrown around. It's worth a chance anyway. Have a great day, Rusty

Also, another good indicator is, look at the size of wire coming out of your trolling motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    I also have another question for any of you electrical engineers out there. Can you get more amps via two 10 gauge wires as compared to using only one 6 gauge wire? I know when you are getting water to a fire you can quadruple your water flow when you double the number or lines or the diameter of the fire hose. Note with the same pump pressure or hydrant pressure. Does the electron flow in wires do the same thing as water in a fire hose?

Just curious.

I could run two more strands of 10 gauge wire from the back of my boat to the front of my boat. But I think that my trolling motor All Terrain 50AT Minn-Kota has enough juice now with the 10 gauge wires. I am sure that I could get more current with 6 gauge wires but right now I don't fell like fooling with my boat's wiring any more. I am sure that others will want to consider this if they are updating or getting a new boat. I am sure that the larger wire would give you more power and be more effecient too. If you can afford a new boat then get the larger diameter wire if you can.

I was looking at the charts on current flow in 10 gauge wire at different temps (resistance in the wire goes up with temp and therefore the wire can carry less current. Also the lenght of the wire will cause the current flow to drop for longer wires as compared to short runs of wireing. )

My manual called for a 35 to 40 amp circuit breaker between my battery's pos terminal and my trolling motor. I installed a new 35 amp circuit breaker in my boat yesterday and it's working OK now. I need to test the new wiring under a good load out on the lake to make sure that it's going to work and not blow the 30 amp fuse that I have installed inline at the back of my boat where the hot wire connects to my trolling motor battery. Hopefully that fuse holder and that 30 amp fuse will hold up. It better because it's in the compartment with my gasoline tanks. I need to really make sure that that fuse holder and that fuse are not getting too hot. The compartment is open to the air and not completley enclosed.
    Last edited by fishingpox; 09-14-2004 at 12:45 PM.