Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The end of an era.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The end of an era.

I'm a little depressed today. A couple of friends and I leased some very good hunting land for the better part of 20 years. We had a nice cabin there that kept us warm and dry during deer season no matter what the weather. Both of my sons loved it there and they both took their first of many deer on the lease. Well to make a short story long, the Missouri Department of Conservation purchased the property last year and opened the lease up to public hunting. We have been managing the property for years for big bucks and were seeing great results for the last 5 or 6 years. Friday, the MDC contacted me and said they were going to demolish the cabin next week because they deemed it a liabilty and they want to return the area to a "natural area". Well I went to the cabin early this morning and removed the rest of our personal belongings then said goodbye to the old friend. Some of my sons and my greatest bonding moments occured there. Don't mind admitting that there was a tear or two in the corner of my eye as I left. Thanks for letting me share.
    Last edited by Speck; 08-01-2009 at 11:42 AM.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

sorry to hear about losing your hunting area speck. It happened to us a couple years ago. My grandpa had a 400 acre farm over between knob knoster and warrensburg, that I had hunted my whole life and when grandpa passed away my dad inhereted it and sold to the first person with any money. now I dont even deer hunt hardly anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for your loss, Chris. It's like losing an old friend. The memories will last forever tho.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

That is terrible, but I do know the feeling. Just yesterday I was going through some pics of a place we used to have on Toledo Bend. The property was sold after 15 yrs of family gatherings there. I hate change! Keep the memories and I hope you have some pics to remind you of the good times there.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear it Chris. Tough after all those years. You and the boys will have the memories you shared there. Sounds like some good times were had there over the years.

Post Thanks / Like

I Am Sorry For Both Your Losses! Its Hard To Find Any Good Hunting Land Anymore. I Guess I Am Lucky Mom And Dad Still Have One Farm With Some Timber On It But You Kind Of Have To Take What Is Given To You. There Is Only Less Than 20 Acres Of Timber And You Have To Get One The First Morning When Someone Runs Something Over On It. There Is Mule Shoe Ranch Down The Road From Them That Is A Mo Department Of Conservation Hunting Area. But After Hearing For So Many Years About The Nut Cases That Hunt It I Am Afraid To Go Down There. Some Of The People Who Go Down There Shoot At Anything That Moves According To The People Who Own Land Around It.

Post Thanks / Like

My condolences, Speck. I hate to launch into a rant about dumbass bureaucrats, but I sure hated to see MDC get funded by a sales tax. They've bought up thousands of acres since then, and the first thing that happened was the imposition of loads of use restrictions. Good bottom land turned to scrub, lots of back channels cut in the Missouri river to save the extinct pallid sturgeon that happen to be perfect spawning areas for asian carp, and lots of good places to dig nightcrawlers that are now off limits. This "progress" just isn't all it's cracked up to be. Oh well, I guess I'll never be much of a collectivist. Sorry about you lost cabin, but hopefully you can still hunt it for a while without too much company. If the sun comes up and all the hunter orange makes it look like you're sitting in the middle of a pumpkin patch, come on up and hunt on me. I'd be glad to have you.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep,sad to hear about it.I bet the hunting part was only 10% of your loss,the good times and memories are 90%.

Post Thanks / Like

That just plain sucks, sorry to hear it Chris.
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it's one of those very few "just perfect" hunting lands where you, your family, and friends shared something really special. I think alot of us hunters have shared a special place like that....ONCE, maybe TWICE in our lifetime.:o Unfortunately they dont come around often but as already stated....the memories will last you guys a lifetime. I hope you and your group finds another spot you can hunt and continue making those memories...and if you do then feel very fortunate (and lucky) because situations like those just dont come around very often.:o
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast