Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: fly fishin for gar

Post Thanks / Like

Default fly fishin for gar

Has anyone tried this. If you haven't you should it is a blast. I have also been trying to catch carp but they seem to be a little more tricky.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've fished for the gar with rope lures and it's alot of fun. I know it's gotta be a blast with a flyrod!:D:D
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

fishing buddy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Man come on over here to mississippi we got plenty to catch

www.slabcrappieguides.com
    Hi Tek Pro Staff
    Bobby Garland Baits

Post Thanks / Like

Have never got a gar on my fly rod, but have thrown a good many flies in front of them with no luck.

Double your efforts for those carp.... Those are alot of fun and get to be huge!!!! Try a fast sinking nymph or craw pattern, very small size. If you can find them schooled up eating cottonwood fluff at the surface, any tiny dry fly will usually work. They are very easily spooked, use a long leader, they see your backing and they will be gone for sure.

Great job on the gar and good luck on those carp.

Post Thanks / Like

OKC,

for the carp try stonefly nymph patterns. Also, as Attica said, you can catch them near cottonwood trees as they feed on the seeds. If you tie, just try tying white CDC feathers (Cul De Canard, not Crappie.Com haha) to a small hook... it works! Even better, I've caught them at the Lawton Country Club as they fed on the grass clippings that blew in the water- a sparsely tied green and untrimmed deer hair fly caught a few
    "Mister, I love the way you wear that hat."
    "You don't know nothin'."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fyi

The CAG forum has an entire board devoted to fly fishing for carp:

Carp Anglers Group Forums -> Flyrod Carping

Couldn't find one for gar. You guys need to start one!

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all the info. I am going to go this weekend and try for carp agian. maybe I'll come back with some pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Alligator gar get amorous down in the Mississippi River Delta in May and do their thing in the shallows - where I once fly fished for redfish. Spotted a tail once, fishing from a canoe, passed a popper to its owner, got bit, and stuck one between five and six feet long. It freaked out and almost capsized me as it ran beneath the canoe - not much room for it there! Anyway, at the time I was well aware that redfish tails were pointed and gar's were rounded. I guess I just had a slight mental lapse.
    I have, though, taken them to 20 pounds or thereabouts while fishing for deep specks with Clouser-types. Neat stuff - they often give you one really good jump.
    Good luck with 'em.
    Pete