Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Help

I'm having a hard time knowing when to use which style! As a general rule what times of year do ya'll use spider rigging, Dock shooting, slip bobbers, fixed bobbers, long line, strolling, etc.?
    Keep some for the pan, let the larger ones go back for another day!
    Tight Lines!

~Big D

Post Thanks / Like

you mean 21 people have viewed this with not as much as a fish weed beds. what is the message board for? come on guys someone get the ideas rolling!
    Tight Lines!

~Big D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappyman View Post
    you mean 21 people have viewed this with not as much as a fish weed beds. what is the message board for? come on guys someone get the ideas rolling!
    I think it safe to day that I will never do half of that stuff to catch a crappie. Maybe 60%. Lake I fish don't have docks. I hate trolling. I always use slip bobbers but not with jigs but I intend to try that. I have nothing to contribute to this thread. But, you've gotten your first reply.

Post Thanks / Like

I think most of them will work any time of the year.

its just finding the fish that counts ,

then use the style you are comfortable with and love to fish.

I have tried most and like to vertical jig in deep channel edge

brush and stumps.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Use the style ....

Quote Originally Posted by crappyman View Post
    I'm having a hard time knowing when to use which style! As a general rule what times of year do ya'll use spider rigging, Dock shooting, slip bobbers, fixed bobbers, long line, strolling, etc.?
    ... that you like to use, and that gives you the best opportunity to get the bait into the strike zone. Finding where they are, or knowing where they are, should be your first priority. Second priority is to pick which method to use, that will present the bait in the best way, and the easiest way for you. Methods of presentation that you "can" use, depend on your equipment and boat setup.

As to your questions on specific types : Generally speaking (IMHO) -

Spider rigging, trolling, strolling, side pulling ... when you need to cover large areas of open water.
    Dock shooting - year around, depending on water depth.
    Fixed bobber - when you can fish a depth less than the length of your rod.
    Slip bobber - when you have to fish a depth greater than the length of your rod, or when casting.
    Casting - whenever & wherever you can get your bait to the proper depth, from a distance.
    Jigging/Vertical Casting - whenever & wherever you can get your bait to the proper depth, from the distance that your rod length allows.

Alot depends on the body of water you fish ... what it has in the way of depth, cover types, baitfish types, water temp ranges thru the seasons, what type of body of water it is, whether it gets a thermocline or not, what state or region of the country it's in, it's biomass capacity, normal water clarity, and the prevailing conditions at the time you fish.

Crappie are going to be "where they are", for a reason. If you know, or can figure out "where" they are or are most likely to be, then picking the proper method of presentation will be easier. Crappie move around, in search of food, but also to stay in water conditions to their liking (but, would rather not have to). They're like us, in a way ... they want security, comfort, and an easy meal. If a situation/condition exists, that affords them all of these ... they're very likely to be there.

Black Crappie & White Crappie do have different criteria, and that can be a factor in "where" they are at a given time and under given conditions. So, it can be a factor as to when/where you look for either of these. They can also be found in the same place, at the same time (depending on prevailing conditions).

The more important question to ask, would be - "Where are the Crappie most likely to be, during a specific time of year, in a specific body of water, under the current conditions of that body of water ?" When you get the answer to that question, then you should ask yourself what method to use to get the proper bait presented in the proper way ... to interest the fish into biting that bait. The answer to that question is only limited to what methods you are able to use, given the equipment you have, and the speed/depth needed to present the bait to the fish, under the conditions of the place they're residing.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Very well put crappiepappy. I think you covered everything there. I enjoyed reading that.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    ... that you like to use, and that gives you the best opportunity to get the bait into the strike zone. Finding where they are, or knowing where they are, should be your first priority. Second priority is to pick which method to use, that will present the bait in the best way, and the easiest way for you. Methods of presentation that you "can" use, depend on your equipment and boat setup.

As to your questions on specific types : Generally speaking (IMHO) -

Spider rigging, trolling, strolling, side pulling ... when you need to cover large areas of open water.
    Dock shooting - year around, depending on water depth.
    Fixed bobber - when you can fish a depth less than the length of your rod.
    Slip bobber - when you have to fish a depth greater than the length of your rod, or when casting.
    Casting - whenever & wherever you can get your bait to the proper depth, from a distance.
    Jigging/Vertical Casting - whenever & wherever you can get your bait to the proper depth, from the distance that your rod length allows.

Alot depends on the body of water you fish ... what it has in the way of depth, cover types, baitfish types, water temp ranges thru the seasons, what type of body of water it is, whether it gets a thermocline or not, what state or region of the country it's in, it's biomass capacity, normal water clarity, and the prevailing conditions at the time you fish.

Crappie are going to be "where they are", for a reason. If you know, or can figure out "where" they are or are most likely to be, then picking the proper method of presentation will be easier. Crappie move around, in search of food, but also to stay in water conditions to their liking (but, would rather not have to). They're like us, in a way ... they want security, comfort, and an easy meal. If a situation/condition exists, that affords them all of these ... they're very likely to be there.

Black Crappie & White Crappie do have different criteria, and that can be a factor in "where" they are at a given time and under given conditions. So, it can be a factor as to when/where you look for either of these. They can also be found in the same place, at the same time (depending on prevailing conditions).

The more important question to ask, would be - "Where are the Crappie most likely to be, during a specific time of year, in a specific body of water, under the current conditions of that body of water ?" When you get the answer to that question, then you should ask yourself what method to use to get the proper bait presented in the proper way ... to interest the fish into biting that bait. The answer to that question is only limited to what methods you are able to use, given the equipment you have, and the speed/depth needed to present the bait to the fish, under the conditions of the place they're residing.

... cp
    Very nice job pappy.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post

... cp
    Excellent advice.
    The hard part is finding the fish.
    Once you find them you can try a variety of techniques to catch them. The only time I would even consider spider rigging is when the lake has turned over and the fish are scattered. Otherwise Crappie are schooling fish.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks crappiepappy for Getting thoughts moving around. Good post!!
    Tight Lines!

~Big D

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Very imformative post from Pappy. I agree that you gotta find the fish first. Usually when you are near the fish you'll start seeing the bait balls (shad) the fish are there for too.:p
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast