Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Magic Temperature for the Best Fall Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Magic Temperature for the Best Fall Fishing

Looking again for an education from everyone.
    Lake I fish has had a maximum temperature this summer of 84 degrees and presently the temp. is running 79 degrees. No evidence that the fall patterns have started yet, in fact the crappie are very finicky.
    Question and discussion I am looking for is on your lake what type of temperature changes from your experiences kick in the Fall Patterns? What is your opinion of a Full Moon in the Summer or when the water is hot?? Do you think fishing is better or worse with a Full Moon in the Summer??
    Thanks for your opinions and knowledge from your experiences.
    Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

Default Full Moon

I Think Fishing Is Better A Couple Days Before And After A New Moon But, On The Other Hand You Will Not Catch Anything If You Stay Home And Not Fish.
    I Use To Be Big On The Moon Phase's For The Best Times But,i Don't
    Think About It Like I Use To, I Just Go Fishing.
    Spider Rig Man

Post Thanks / Like

Default Temps

My magic water temp to get them to bite is 75 at the depth I find fish. As far as the moon, I just go when I get a chance and if it ain't right, then at least I get out of the house :D :D . I do try to stay until the moon is directly opposite from me: so if it's straight up at 1am, then I try to make sure I'm fishing from 11pm-3pm. Summer fishing can be a challenge for most anyone at times. Hope this helps and good luck.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really plan fishing trips around the moon phases either.....if I were to do that, I would probably never fish. There are always going to be anomolies if you try to fish by statistics, so I would just go fish like everyone else is saying and see if you can find some fish.
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Default OOPs

Quote Originally Posted by Mo'nBack
    My magic water temp to get them to bite is 75 at the depth I find fish. As far as the moon, I just go when I get a chance and if it ain't right, then at least I get out of the house :D :D . I do try to stay until the moon is directly opposite from me: so if it's straight up at 1am, then I try to make sure I'm fishing from 11pm-3pm. Summer fishing can be a challenge for most anyone at times. Hope this helps and good luck.
    I'm sorry, I guess I have tunnel vision and can only see what's in front of me which right now is summer and you were asking for fall. Not sure about fall temps cause I always fished summer and winter until lately. I still try to fish opposite the moon, but I go whether it's full, new, or on the quarter. I didn't mean to mislead you, I just had my head up where I couldn't see :o .
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Just like in the Spring, the magic water temp is around 65. They're going to start stacking up on the mid-range tops at 75 and by the time the water temp is 65 they should be aggressive enough to hit a jig or minnow on the fall.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

From my experience, once the temp hits 65 in the spring, you can kiss the Crappie into deeper water. I start fishing real shallow brush on the upper ends of lakes and creeks when the temp hits around 50-52. This is when the biggest Crappie start moving towards their spawning beds. 54 degrees is the magic temp for me. I will be catching 2-4 lbers a month and a half before most other Crappie begin to move into spawning areas. I have found that an indian summer will produce monster slabs in 4' creek channels in mid February. The time most of the smaller fish have come into spawn, most of the bigger ones, have already come and gone.

Has anyone else every noticed this? I'm talking about nights are still getting below freezing, but, the warm, windy days of an indian summer start warming the water up fast. Mud, believe me now, listen to me later. when you see surface temps in the low 50's come February, start fishing stable shallow waters. Concentrate on brush, falls, stake beds, in the 2' deep range. Hit everyone you come across! You will find not only a magic temp, but a couple of magic spots.
    I have spoken..........................hehehe
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie.com : articles

Quote Originally Posted by Mud-Dabber
    Looking again for an education from everyone.
    Lake I fish has had a maximum temperature this summer of 84 degrees and presently the temp. is running 79 degrees. No evidence that the fall patterns have started yet, in fact the crappie are very finicky.
    Question and discussion I am looking for is on your lake what type of temperature changes from your experiences kick in the Fall Patterns? What is your opinion of a Full Moon in the Summer or when the water is hot?? Do you think fishing is better or worse with a Full Moon in the Summer??
    Thanks for your opinions and knowledge from your experiences.
    Mud-Dabber
    There is a very good article on temperature and Crappie fishing in the Articles section of Crappie. com.....check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me that a barimetric pressure change in the fall has a lot more effect on the fishing than it does in the spring and summer. I can usually still catch fish in the spring and summer months when there is a change. Just fish deeper or change color of the jig or the size. But in the fall when they get lock jaw they don't bite at all or are very very slow. The fish are still there they just stop biting. We were catching fish yesterday and a change came thru and the fish turned off. I kept fishing trying to find something to turn them on but only caught 1 fish in 2 hours of trying. We ended up with only 8 Crappie and 1 bullhead and 1 Bluegill. The top of the water was filled with Bluegill. We had a heck of a time getting thru them without hooking one of them. When we pitched a minnow out, the Bluegill looked like a big funnel and would dive after the minnow. Water temp now is 71 degrees here.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p