Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need trolling help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need trolling help

I have some fish located but they are in 24-25 feet of water. I am trolling bandit 300's and know the deepest I am getting is 18.5 feet. That means I need to get another 5-6 feet out of my crankbaits. I have decided to use a egg sinker and swivel with a leader to my crankbait. Does anyone have any idea on the amount of weight I will need to get the crankbait down to my desired depth while maintaining a 2.5 mph. I know the mph seems high but is what I was catching them on before they went deeper.

Post Thanks / Like

we have been catching them up to 2.5 also but no deeper than 12 ft. I'd start off with 3/8oz sinker and work your way up from there.

Post Thanks / Like

are they crappie that u have located that deep? If crappie are that deep you should fish minnow rigs.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd start with an ounce and play with it from there.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default Went last night

Okay, so here is what I did. I used a 1 oz. egg singer inline with a swivel. I put the crank on a 5 foot leader. My brother in law used the same rig but used a 2 foot leader. He stayed on bottom but didn't catch any fish in the 26foot range. I bumped occasionally in the 22-23 foot range, but caught fish. They ended up being Walleye, but it was fun. I think that the length of leader plays a big role. I am going back out tonight to see. Thanks for your suggestions. There isn't that much information out there on this subject that I can find. I guess it is a lot of trial and error. Oh by the way no size to the Walleye. Did catch two spotted bass about a 1.5 pound and two whites up to a pound. Probably about 25 fish all together.

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I ask how you would know that it was crappie that deep. I figured it was some other kind of fish. Everbody was worried about telling u how to get ur cranks down that deep when you did not need to fish them any deeper than they were designed to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sticko View Post
    There is a chart in the front of the book this information was taken from on the additional depth an in-line weight will get you. My copy of the book is packed in storage right now so I can't give you an answer. The depth is very speed dependent when you add weights. I think a 1 ounce in-line weight several feet in front of the crank bait will get you there.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by possumcop View Post
    Everbody was worried about telling u how to get ur cranks down that deep when you did not need to fish them any deeper than they were designed to work.
    Maybe "everybody else" was just answering the question as it was asked,
    instead of saying go do "a" when he asked about "b" :rolleyes:
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I was just trying to catch fish and they were in 24-25 feet of water. Didn't really care what they were. Just fishin and had fun doin it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast