Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: shrimping info needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default shrimping info needed

im in SC and was want any info about shrimping cause this will be me first time shrimping with cast nets. i think its with a stick in thte ground and putting bait out come back with cast net i think. im going oct-nov any help will be thankful.
    Pepper & Ice

shuorc is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you got shrimping and crabbing mixed up to me. Crabbing you throw the meat out and tie it to a stick and bring it back the crab and scoop them up with a net. Cast netting, you usually attach the net to your arm, throw the net out and then retrieve the net with the shrimp.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

yes i might be wrong thats why im asking. in SC i think they might call it shrimp baiting. you us the pole to know where you drop the bait ball wait for twenty min then come baack and us your cast net and hope to get shrimp.
    Pepper & Ice

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Cruise, we bait for shrimp down here but we don't use any pole to mark the spot. We mix up pogey mill, flour and a little water and throw it out and wait about 15 - 20 minutes and then throw the cast net out where we threw the balls of bait out and retrieve the cast net. Seems like if you put the sticks out you would get your net hung up in the cast net. When are you coming down and what area are you going to be going to? If I am around maybe we can get together and I will show you how we do it.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    yes i might be wrong thats why im asking. in SC i think they might call it shrimp baiting. you us the pole to know where you drop the bait ball wait for twenty min then come baack and us your cast net and hope to get shrimp.
    Cruise
    Go to this site for SC, CharlestonFishing.Com-Charleston's Premiere Fishing Site! there is a shrimping forum on there you can learn by a search or ask questions. Lot of shrimpers on there.
    It's not the numbers or the size, it's the time spent on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

i think he might be talking about the grass shrimp, last year we went over there and there was a guy i met, he would wait til the tide was low and walk towards the back of narrow water troughs throwing his 5 ft cast net, he had a bucket full in less than half an hour. he also put out crab pots for the crabs too.

Post Thanks / Like

im typeing about white and brown shrimp that you us bait, poles and cast net off of a boat.Thanks for all the info and web sites, they are great info.
    Pepper & Ice

Drift_Wood is offline Moderator TN Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Pogeys lol I live about half mile from two factorys we been using that same recipe for years and catch minows in traps throw cast net like you say and catch fresh water shrimp with it also but the stuff dont smell very good lol making it or using it lol

Post Thanks / Like

In South Carolina when you buy your shrimp liscense you get I believe 10 tags that attach to poles like 1/2" emt. At low tide stick the poles as shallow as possible in a row down the bank. Then place about 6 bait balls around each. As tide comes in you net around each pole going from pole to pole in a row and repeating. It is very effective, I do it each year while up there deer hunting with my brother in law. The bait balls are freeze dried ground menhadden mixed with builders clay and water until it is like playdo. Make hamburger size patties and set in sun to bake and stink real bad until rock hard. we usually have our limit in about 3 passes. Trick is finding where to go shrimping. One night out to find the flotilla and you should be set.