Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Beautiful Night on Beaver

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beautiful Night on Beaver

Went out last Wednesday evening, fished minnows in the Indian Creek arm. Lots of bites early but didn’t catch them as couldn’t see rod tip and busy rigging other rods (it’s always easier to rig the rods at home than in a boat holding a flashlight in your mouth). Finally the moon rose (ah, there’s the rod tips) about 10 p.m., or so and caught two (11 and 14 inches) and then they just quit. The green, submersible fluorescent light drew lots of minnows from the 45-foot depth I was fishing. Surprising what you can see go by while staring half-hypnotized down into the light. Fumbled my way back to the ramp about 1:30 a.m., where trouble getting boat on trailer was carefully observed by 5 deer at top of ramp. Luckily the park was totally vacant and my loud muttering only cowered the deer, who finally slunk off into the woods, ears burning. I’m going back this week, devoting all my attention to only one pole. Anyway, it was a beautiful night for fishing and I enjoyed almost every minute of being on the lake, aside from that trouble with the trailer.

Post Thanks / Like

Paint your rod tips with flourescent paint. Buy a $20 black light from wal-mart. Do this, and you can fish 4 rods easily seeing each. It also helps to use clear blue flourescent line on your reels too. You will be amazed at how well you can see all your rods. You can see them at night better than broad daylight. I would not suggest the clear blue line when fishing shallow though. There is no telling how far into the water the line will be illuminated.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips, Reaper. Used to have a black light but let it go with my previous boat. I'm going to get another one. Reels are loaded with clear blue fluorescent. Rod tips are coated w/fluorescent paint. I just need the black light. I also had on my previous boat a set of "moon" lights, which are white light with a rheostat to dim them to your liking. Used them a lot when bass fishing and have been looking for a set of them too but no luck. Guess they've quit manufacturing them. Drove down to lake this morning but wind blowing across ramp and hate to see my old aluminum boat blown sideways and beat up on rocks while I'm taking trailer back up to parking lot. May try it again this afternoon. Just know I'm gonna mop up on 'em when I get back on the water (ha).

Post Thanks / Like

Since you've already had a blacklight, go ahead and get one of the better ones. See the thread about evening secret in the main forum, and ask Jumping Cholla Jigs to give you a link to his black light he has developed. It looks good. I don't know what he charges. There are three other black lights for fishing that I know of, Stan Sloan, Optronics, and "Hoppys". I own a Hoppys low profile blacklight, and an Optronics. I would like to try JCJ's someday. The Optronics is the weakest one of the bunch. It's also about $60 cheaper than the Sloan or the Hoppys.

I used to have a Moon Glow several years ago. Stan Sloan has a blacklight with a built in Moon Glow with rheostat. He has stacked blacklights, blacklight one side, white on other, etc. Do a search for the names to find prices. Simply searching blacklights brings up too many results. I read a review once about a Hoppy vs a Stan Sloan and it stated the Hoppy was brighter. I have a friend that owns a Stan Sloan. It was my first black light experience. MAN! I was sold. I bought the Hoppy because of the review for the brightness. I couldn't tell any difference between the Stan Sloan and Hoppy.

You might have to find a ramp that is suited for the wind of the day. I fish Oologah lake most of the time here in NE Okla and the ramp I use, is tucked into a very small cut/cove, with some trees for a wind break. I don't care if the main lake is bellowing out some 3 footers, I can launch in peace.
    Get in touch with Jumping Cholla Jigs like I said, his blacklight he has developed looks great! He may be offering a discount to C.com peeps, but not sure. If you look at his history, you can find a picture of his light.
    Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I have had a couple of "Beautiful nights on a Beaver" myself. heh