Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey trollers....

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey trollers....

I'm determined I'm gonna try this trollin thing yet....

I've got everthing ready...I just got to go do it.......but....

I've read that idling a 2 stroke for extended periods of time could cause overheating......

I have a '94 50hp Johnson and I just can't afford a 4 stroke yet....or a repair bill for problems from overheating.....

Comments...??
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

If the water pump, impeller, and T-stat are in good shape, there's no reason that the motor would overheat idling. Two-stokes due tend to load-up a bit, but a quick run should clear that up.
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    If the water pump, impeller, and T-stat are in good shape, there's no reason that the motor would overheat idling. Two-stokes due tend to load-up a bit, but a quick run should clear that up.
    I think that those who have said idling causes overheating have water pump impellers that are missing some vanes or a less than 100%. You are right that if all is good there shouldn' t be issues.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a troll motor? I use that for my trolling.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Tracker 40 and can't slow the speed down enough unless I drag a bucket. I have found my TM does a fine job for a day. I am afraid the battery won't last much longer than a day at the speed I keep it on. I also run with the wind.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up trollin is a good thing

i just started trollin this year with some friends of mine, i use my trolling motor it's an old boat and trolling motor only 28 foot lbs so i only troll with the wind to my back but you can cover alot of water that way i also have 2 batteries one for trolling and 1 for starting the motor and i can troll a whole day on the water. When i troll over an area if i catch a fish when i troll over an area a second time i stop and anchor there until the bite stops, but i think you'll like it alot.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a 15 foot sea ark with a 9.9hp (the type every one uses for a kicker motor to troll with) and i never troll with the motor, always the trolling motor, i can troll slower with my trolling motor, and can get up to over 2.5 mph w/it, plenty fast enought, i say give the electric a shot 1st, that way your not flooding and fouling out plugs on the gas motor, have fun, trolling has been a blast this year for my son and I. God bless

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

I've never overheated my 40hp OB trolling after countless hours trolling for hybrids, whites and recently crappie. I have added a trolling plate that can get me under 1mph speeds without it I am at 2.2 on slick water. I feel I have better overall control of my boat using the OB instead of a trolling motor esp when fishing hard structure in wind and rough water. Plus the trolling motor I have is foot controlled and I hate feeling like the Karate Kid while fishing.:D

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the encouragement guys...

My Minn Kota Maxxum is plenty big to troll and I really don't worry too much about batteries (I have 4)....but it's a foot controll and I was thinkin I could keep more of a constant forward movement with the OB...

I think I'll take some of you guys advise and try it with the TM ....it may work out just fine......

Now, if I can just get away from this yard work to go try it.....
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast