Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 7-27-09

Post Thanks / Like

Default 7-27-09

well, i managed to get out in my rowboat today on the neponset reservoir in foxboro after being informed that the crappie would be safe to eat.

it was a late start and i did not have much time on the water. i started at noon and fished til 3 before i had to go to work.

i started drift fishing. one rod i used a float with a shiner under it, and the other rod i was throwing either a rooster tail or a small spinner with chartreuse grub.

i did end up catching 9 crappie, 4 pickerel, 2 bass, 5 redears, 6-7 bluegills, and a nice sized yellow perch. most of the crappie were caught on the spinner and i caught and lost a few with shiners.

i did, however, have a surprise catch. one of the bass i caught was just under the length of my two sized 13's end to end, so i guessed it at 24" and 6lbs and change. the photos i got of it do not do it justice. fat belly on it. i cannot believe it took a tiny little shiner. i released the bass and it thanked me by splashing my face as i did
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by gelauck; 07-27-2009 at 08:25 PM.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you caught a good sized mess for a meal. Congrats and thx for sharing the pics.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks....yeah, i got into them as i had to leave for work so i could have caught a lot more, im sure. they are not real big ones but they'll be a good meal. i wish i got a better shot of the bass, i was alone and i needed to get it back in the water.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by gelauck; 07-27-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Foxy is offline Moderator Massachusetts Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice catches. Just out of curiosity - at about what depth did you find those crappies? I only really fish for them from ice out to early/mid spring and have never fished for them in July.

Post Thanks / Like

nice catch congrats
    The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess that is why they are called bucket mouths,Great catch and good pics.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

i joined the site 4 years ago and then disappeared, forgot all about it. anyway, i see my first posts are still on page 1 so i guess i didnt miss too too much.

Foxy, to answer your 4 year old question. I was catching them in 6-8 feet of water. it is pretty much the max depth in the entire pond.

ive been out a few times this year and did just okay. one day i managed 9 crappies, along with lots of bass and pickerel. last time i went, just 4 crappies. headed out tomorrow, but not to fish. trying to fill my second turkey tag.

Post Thanks / Like

here's a couple pics from the other day. actually, it was from marathon monday...i was happily fishing, oblivious to what was happening at the finish line.