Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: my first post

Post Thanks / Like

Default my first post

i joined this site because i want some help finding new waters in my area where the fish are safe to eat. i live in norwood, ma. so, hello to everybody...i hope i can learn a few things here and maybe even make a new fishing/hunting buddy as well.

lately i have been fishing the neponset reservoir in foxboro. i do very well there not only with crappie but with yellow and white perch and large sunnys and redears. however, i remember reading warnings about eating the fish out of there....nasty pesticides/chemicals.

anyway, lately i have been salivating thinking about catching a mess for a fish fry, but im not sure of where i should go.

i have a row boat...no electronics or anything like that. generally, i troll a small spinner/grub combo behind me as i row out to the side of the lake where the wind is coming from. then, i just drift fish and let the wind push me back across, casting.

could somebody offer up a few locations near me, norwood mass, where the fish can be taken and eaten? perhaps a couple tips? thanks in advance

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Indiana
    PS
    The coffee pot is on
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The best thing to do would be to contact your state game and fish department and ask for a safe fish advisary on the different waters in your state. Most states have a website where this can be checked out also.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

i did check that pond...neponset reservoir and it is not on my state's list. i know i have heard bad things about the water quality there though, and of course i do not think it is actually in use as a source of drinking water.

Post Thanks / Like

okay, i just made a phone call and got some good news about that reservoir i like to fish.

it is the headway of the neponset river, so i called a scientist working for the neponset river watershed association. he told me that the there have been pesticide issues in the past there and that there are currently issues with cadmium (sp ?), but that that is a sediment problem and would not affect perch and crappies. soooo, i think im going to go back and catch a mess for a fish fry!!!

i will post some photos. oh, and if anyone knows conflicting information about the water quality there PLEASE jump in and let me know.

oh, and please feel free to suggest more spots that i can try in my area.

Post Thanks / Like

well, i went for about 3 hours and i caught i dont know, a dozen in the last hour or so. also, i caught the biggest largemouth i have caught in several years using a shiner under a float! i couldnt believe it because i never catch big bass on tiny little shiners. this bass was about 24" and im guessing between 6-7lbs. i got a photo of it and im gonna post it and photos of the crappies i ended up with, later on tonight when i get home from the j-o-b

Foxy is offline Moderator Massachusetts Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not an experienced crappie fisherman (going on 3rd official season now), however: I have read the masswildlife site extensively and it seems that the Norton/Taunton/Raynham/495/etc. area is the best identified spot for crappies. You are very close, if not there already. It seems that, again from my reading, ther really isn't any crappies on cape cod. You have to take this all with a grain of salt though, because not many people fish for crappie around here. Well, ok, no one does haha. A guy from this site (not sure if he's still on here) took me out a couple of years ago to lake Winneconnet in Norton and we caught quite a view. It was right after ice out. Would be glad to fish with you sometime. Drop me a line...

Post Thanks / Like

welcome from ,al
    The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad