Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Breaking the line!?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Breaking the line!?!?

Recently I've been trying to fish a tandom rig, two 16oz jigs on six lb test line. I'm tying the top jig on with a common loop knot about 16" above the bottom jig which is also tied with a loop knot. Five times in the past two days I've set the hook on a fish and the line breaks off on or above the top jig. I change my line regularly. No "toothy" fish in this lake. Someone told me that the cause for breaking may be because "I am burning the line at the knot when I tighten the knot down. He claims that I should use a lubricant on the line before tightening. Any views on the matter??????

Post Thanks / Like

just wet it with your spit before you pull it tight. But you should really use a larger test line if your going to make a knot. The way I do it is use a 3 way swivel in my line instead of a knot. I only use 6lb if I am using a single jig rig.

Post Thanks / Like

A common loop knot is very strong, you might consider a dropper loop instead, but as stated, when using monofilament, you have to lube the knot before pulling it tight.
    Quit complaining about the color, just pull up your skirt and fish! -- snagged

Post Thanks / Like

yeah just wet the knot with your mouth before you tighten it.
    "Mister, I love the way you wear that hat."
    "You don't know nothin'."

Post Thanks / Like

I use palomar knots when rigging doubles, wetting with spit and then drawing down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macon123 View Post
    I use palomar knots when rigging doubles, wetting with spit and then drawing down.
    2nd that, never use more than 6lb. line either, mostly 4lb. Never break off on a fish, just structure. Are you spooling up with a decent line?
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

You have a knot problem. Wet the line (spit) before you pull it down. It you are using a quality line that will cure your problem. I bet a Silver Bullet on that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep plain spit works every time. Of course I don't know if it matters with the fusion lines or kevlar lines, but the folks who use those can pipe in.

Fatman