Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Finally got out fishing tonight...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally got out fishing tonight...

Went up to Big Creek in Polk City, IA. I was throwing 1/32 (I think) Maribu Jigs into about 10 FOW. Casting and reeling at a slow pace. I started out with a chartreuse jig w/ chartreuse head, and couldn't get a hit at location one, which just happened to be a little cove. I moved down the shore to a different cove which has about a 100+ ft tree that goes down into the water, also had some algae sitting on top about 10 ft out into the water from the tree. Changed to a pink head and white bodied jig, had no luck up until 9 PM.

Only pulled in two fish, I'm pretty sure they were wipers (Crappie/Stripe bass, correct me if I'm wrong). They were just little guys but they are the first ones I have caught on a Maribu jig as of yet, so I was pleased. All in all a good night, bugs weren't too bad, and I really didn't know how to fish the jigs, but it kinda worked!
    "Drive it like you stole it"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Jerry .... correction (as requested)

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Jerry View Post
    Went up to Big Creek in Polk City, IA. I was throwing 1/32 (I think) Maribu Jigs into about 10 FOW. Casting and reeling at a slow pace. I started out with a chartreuse jig w/ chartreuse head, and couldn't get a hit at location one, which just happened to be a little cove. I moved down the shore to a different cove which has about a 100+ ft tree that goes down into the water, also had some algae sitting on top about 10 ft out into the water from the tree. Changed to a pink head and white bodied jig, had no luck up until 9 PM.

Only pulled in two fish, I'm pretty sure they were wipers (Crappie/Stripe bass, correct me if I'm wrong). They were just little guys but they are the first ones I have caught on a Maribu jig as of yet, so I was pleased. All in all a good night, bugs weren't too bad, and I really didn't know how to fish the jigs, but it kinda worked!
    "Wipers" are not a Crappie - Striped Bass mix. Wipers are Hybrid Striped Bass ... a White Bass & Striper hybrid mix. Hybrid striped bass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

White Bass & Stripers are in a different family than Crappie, and can't be hybridized.

By the way ... congrats on catching fish, casting jigs !! Now ... just wait until you get the first "thump", of a Crappie hit, and you'll never be the same :p

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you corrected my crappiepappy! It was a load of fun, I'll sure be heading out next week sometime in the evening again to see what I can get my jigs on :p

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking I probably wouldn't even bother ....

I'm glad you corrected my crappiepappy! It was a load of fun, I'll sure be heading out next week sometime in the evening again to see what I can get my jigs on :p
    ... to correct the spelling of my user name, if it weren't for the fact that we have a member by the name of "Crappypappy" :p
    I just don't want any confusion about whom said what

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Hey if you want to fish without bugs bugging you then get your self a ThermaCell. They keep the bugs away. Have been out and bugs thick as can be and even when I would turn around almost couldn't breathe for the bugs, but when facing the way I wanted to fish none in my face at all. They work!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Sailor Jerry try tubes in red and white 1&1/2inches long on 1/32 or 1/16 jigs. Great color. Your marabou jigs may be too big, smaller is better. Give it a try and let us know how you did. If you have a depth finder on your boat locate fish and anchor over top of them. As it gets hotter I think the crappie are going deeper. I'm fishing in 25ft of water and catching crappie between 9 and 12 foot. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a boat! I wish I did though! I'm just shore fishin' and don't have a depth finder!

Post Thanks / Like

Just keep trying different retrieves/color combo's and you'll find what they want!!!!

And Skip, thanks for the review of the ThermaCell, I've been debating on whether to get one or not.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

I used to sell the little ThermoCells that you can hook onto your belt. I've never heard so much praise for a product in my life from customers!