Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smithville 7/22

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville 7/22

Been a long time since I've posted and thought I'd give a little report about our outing last nite. Got on the water around 6 and fished til 10 pm. Lots of boat traffic last nite, more than normal. Lots of small crappie in 6-8" size, probably caught 150 plus that size. Ended up boating 45 keepers, catching them in 20-30 foot of water from 4-18 foot down. Bite was EXTREMELY lite!!!!!!!!!!!! Lots of shad and the fish are in really great shape heading into fall. Did manage to catch 7 doubles last nite, had 9 doubles, but lost the "bonus" fish at the surface both times. Great weather to be on the water. God bless.
    "Confidence in your God given abilities will add more crappie to your daily limit!"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report, CE--what part of the lake were you fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a pic I took with my cell phone to mess with a couple of my MLB buddies who have to play ball to make a living while I catch fish, LOL!!!!!!!!! I love my job. God bless.
    "Confidence in your God given abilities will add more crappie to your daily limit!"

Post Thanks / Like

W bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats the trouble with the bridge you have to fight through the small ones but its great if you have kids. Dave
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

A legal crappie doesn't stand a chance under the bridges! At least that's my theory as to why you catch so many more shorts under the bridges than elsewhere in the lake. I think the big ones use the bridges, but there is so much pressure there they get caught out quick. What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

No idea, but I do know that come September there are ALOT of legal crappie to be caught there. God bless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MOfishmgr View Post
    A legal crappie doesn't stand a chance under the bridges! At least that's my theory as to why you catch so many more shorts under the bridges than elsewhere in the lake. I think the big ones use the bridges, but there is so much pressure there they get caught out quick. What do you guys think?
    I agree. When I started fishing, I'd hit the bridge all the time. But you can't get the large crappie there.

I was out last night and hit the main lake brush pile on the Southwest part of the lake, right in front of the swim beach. Started fishing at 7 and went to 8. Caught a lot of dinks and two white bass. Moved to the other side of the lake at other brush piles and didn't catch anything. Headed up north and ran into some people that ran out of gas. Took about an hour pulling them back where they put in.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

You are correct on that, two years ago we were catching limits all the time, but since the die off limits are tougher to come by. You have to be patient and slow your retrieve WAY down and pay attention to your line and keep constant contact with your jigs as best you can. For those who like to catfish as well, plenty of catfish to be caught, too. Caught two drum as well. God bless.

Post Thanks / Like

Im kind of like apkapa used to fish them alot could catch limit if you stayed long enough. Then these good people on here help me with dipping trees since then I go under that bridge to find trees. Thanks everyone Dave
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast