Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need advice on crickets

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need advice on crickets

Never used crickets for Crappie before but it sounds like it might work. Water temps are really hot down here and there are some area with deep drops near bluffs and was wondering how to rig these. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Crickets might work, but I think minnows would be your best bet. Bluegills will nail the cricket before the crappie have a chance.

Post Thanks / Like

TennCrappie, Disco is right. The gills will nail it before the crappie have time to scrutinize it. But if you decide to use crickets, I run the hook down thru he underbelly (thorax) and out of the soft rear end part. Don't know if there is a "special prescribed method" of riggin a cricket, but this works for me.

Good luck on gettin it past the gills.

Post Thanks / Like

As the other guys mentioned, minnows would probably be a better choice. Crickets may work somewhere like a farm pond, but bluegills and catfish will tear them up just about any place you fish. You can buy cricket hooks, that have an extra long shaft so you can thread the cricket on the hook like a worm, and this will give you a better chance at the fish not swallowing the hook.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes the head of the cricket should point up on the hook,sometimes the head should point down,and sometimes the belly of the cricket should face the bend of the hook and sometimes the belly should face out away from the bend of the hook.
    If the fish are stealing the cricket off the hook try turning them around or upside down.

Post Thanks / Like

Only advice I can give you on cricket is to never, ever put one down Mary Lou's dress in the 5th grade. Just cause she's bigger than the other girls don't mean she's sweeter. And no matter what the other guys tell you, she will not take it as a sign of affection.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

WB, I hope them two boys of your turns out to be zactly like you. You darn sure deserve it. lol

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Guys-Sorry I posted it twice

I didn't see it on there this a.m. so I posted it again. I've got bad puter skills

Post Thanks / Like

good luck getting the cricket past the bluegills/minnows down to the crappies, bout like throwing a boar coon in a pack of hound dogs!
    Never used crickets much at all, the few times i use them for bluegills, i wound up burning through several dozen crickets to catch a couple gills.
    I am a firm believer in showing fish something different though, let us know how it works, black crappies really like bugs.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe... View Post
    Only advice I can give you on cricket is to never, ever put one down Mary Lou's dress in the 5th grade. Just cause she's bigger than the other girls don't mean she's sweeter. And no matter what the other guys tell you, she will not take it as a sign of affection.

Wannabe...
    LOL-Nope!!:D:D:D
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com