Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: GPS/Locator question

Post Thanks / Like

Default GPS/Locator question

Good afternoon all! I currently have a run of the mill locator on my boat. If I were to upgrade to a gps/locator unit which would you folks recommend? Yes, price is important, something middle of the road and reliable. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lowrance 522c on mine. It is a great unit. I haven't taken the time to fine tune it yet. Too busy using it the way it is.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I still use the e-trex

60 dollars on ebay.... just use it in the fog and only have two places marked on it for fog, but that is all we need....... got a higher dollar garmin 152 don't even use it.......
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am with Bob the 500 series Lowrance are great units and can be bought for around $500. They will take the mapping cards which are a must have when fishing new lakes or areas. I have a 332C lowrance in my console and love it. It was replaced by the 500 series. I have a 510C on a ram mount at the bow. It is a non GPS unit but same sonar as the 520C and the 522iC. I can watch jigs dance up and down on the screen with it. You get down this way and want to see one in action let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Humminbird fan, but I don't know that brand makes a real difference, especially when it comes to the GPS portion. I've got a 997 at the wheel and a 787c2i at the bow. Love both. The 997 is pricey, but the 787 is a great unit and affordable. I would go with the exteral GPS antenna as it is a lot more accurate (that goes with either brand).
    Cameron Denison - St. Charles, MO
    Mississippi River Pool 26 | Mark Twain Lake
    White/Black Skeeter and I talk to everyone.
    Thump, Set the Hook!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Cam, did you ever wind up fishing Crab Orchard?

Post Thanks / Like

garmin if you just want gps, about every maf. uses garmin teck. if you want the gps/depth finder combo, lowrance,or humminbird, mtcw

Post Thanks / Like

If you go the ebay route like I did, be sure the unit you buy is still supported by the manufacturer. I found a Garmin 168 for $35 on ebay. It took a year and a half to do it, so be patient. I bought that model cause I had the same on my work boat and know it inside and out. Well two months after getting it Garmin stopped supporting/repairing it. Considered obsolete. It still works great and I couldn't be happier, but I broke a pin on my work unit and can't get it fixed. Garmin also has a program that they will rebuild a supported unit for a flat rate of $99, so if you get a good deal on ebay and it's broken you can get it refurbished.

Coworkers swear by Lowrance but I don't have any experience with them. You might also check your local sporting goods store to see what models they stock accessories for. That way if you ever need to replace a transducer, etc., you can pick it up locally. Good luck.