Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smithville 7/20

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville 7/20

Decided not to fish the Camp Branch side after all. But after today's outing, I think I should have. Started out at 7:00am and went to 1:00pm. Water temp was 77 at the start of the day and didn't go up much after that, water clarity was a foot deep, with the main lake clarity well past a foot. Fished with two jigs with my usual black/chart, blue/chart and black/green/chart. I switched to a white/chart where the water was clearer.

Started out at area 1 at 7:00. The bite was on for about an hour, then it died. Water depth ranged from 15' to 25'. Only caught dinks. Switched to my usual area two and only caught a 1/2lb cannel cat (I put him back). I did get a report from another angler that they've been having good luck at the point right above area 2. I'm gonna have to try sometime.

Since the bite died down, decided to try the main lake. Since I wasn't getting any bites, figured what the heck. Hit the cove just north of Sailboat Cove. Fished close to the shore in about 15' of water. Didn't get a thing except a 1' bass at area 3 (he was fun to catch). Area 4 was 15'-20' with no luck. Area 5 was better. The water was real clear here. This is the place I switched to the white/chart and it made a difference. Caught about 8 or so, with only one keeper. People seemed to be catching fish on the outer most trees.

Then my last resort place was area 6, W Bridge. I gotta say they were schooled pretty heavy in about 35' of water and they were low. Fish were 15' - 25' deep. But, they were not biting. Fished the bridge for about an hour and only had two keepers with one falling off the hook at the end of my day.

I posted a comment on the "Smithville 7/18" after I saw MOfishmgr posted a note asking for his option on where the crappie were. He had some good suggestions. I'm going to try them out the next time I am out. Click the link and check it out http://www.crappie.com/crappie/misso...-7-18-a-2.html

On another note. The lower map has some "X" marks. These are the brush pile markers I got from Burton's. I've tried to find the markers, but with minimal luck. Going to pull out the old hand GPS next time and see if I can find'em.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by APKape; 07-20-2009 at 10:55 PM.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

I fished the Camp Branch arm this afternoon and was greeted by the rain that was supposed to come this evening.

Tennesse Shad with a yellow nibble worked just about as good as a minnow fishing 10 Fd in 28 FOW. Water was clear with 12" plus visibility. Caught a bunch of dinks today while feeding them a couple dozen minnows. And Lee....I did not catch ANY drum!

It was fun to catch some fish for a change.....the black cloud over the Xpress aint completely gone....but I think its moving on.

Didnt try crickets today....mebbe I shoulda.
    Progressive Marine Insurance SUCKS!. If you hit a submerged object they will try to prove manufacturers defect....stay away from them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ohhh and one other thing....

The fish I caught today were full of shad......might be about time to start tight lining the brush piles with minnows like MOfishmgr suggested.
    Progressive Marine Insurance SUCKS!. If you hit a submerged object they will try to prove manufacturers defect....stay away from them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I fished the Camp Branch arm this afternoon and was greeted by the rain that was supposed to come this evening.

Tennesse Shad with a yellow nibble worked just about as good as a minnow fishing 10 Fd in 28 FOW. Water was clear with 12" plus visibility. Caught a bunch of dinks today while feeding them a couple dozen minnows. And Lee....I did not catch ANY drum!

It was fun to catch some fish for a change.....the black cloud over the Xpress aint completely gone....but I think its moving on.

Didnt try crickets today....mebbe I shoulda.
    Thanks for the Camp Branch report. I was wondering how that side of the lake was doing.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)