Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking To Buy A Bass Boat Rig This Winter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking To Buy A Bass Boat Rig This Winter

I was wondering if I could get some advice from you guys when it comes to buying a used bass boat. What should I look for, and more importatly what should I stay away from or watch out for.

I want to start fishing more crappie tournaments, and am tired of relying on someone else and thier boat. I will be fishing by myself most of the time in large lakes and resevors so I would like to get something that will cover some water in a decent amount of time.

I was thinking a 19foot boat with a 150hp or better engine 1997 or newer and around $15000 or less.

Should I Be looking at the aluminum bass boats or stick with the fiberglass?

I was told if I go with a two stroke engine to at least get one that is EFI, any help there?

thanks
    HAVE POLES, WILL TRAVEL.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Little help

I've got a 17ft alum boat that I crappie fish in and love it, but for tourneys it's hard to get an alum boat depth finder to work real good while running at higher rates of speed. Don't know much about bigger boats and motors (I use a 50hp), but if I was to start tournies on a regular basis, I would check into this for fishing on lakes I'm not familiar with. Hope you can get an idea from this. There will be some very wise responses to your thread, so just hang on.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an old 16 ft fiberglass bass boat with a 150 on it. I really would like a smaller motor but I really prefer the fiberglass. My fishing buddy has a aluminum 16 ft bass boat so I have had a chance to do a lot of comparison. Nothing against aluminum, just my preference. As far as the EFI, I don't know anything about them, but if you go to this web site and do a search, you will find a lot of info: http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure where you will look but here is a great search engine for all types of boats (new and used) that are for sale.

http://www.soundingsonline.com/newadsearch.html

Post Thanks / Like

If you are planning on fishing large lakes and possibly running several miles I would go 20ft. I have a Ranger 492vs with a 225 Yamaha and there has been a few times that it didnt feel big enough on the lake I fish.

If you find one you are interested in one be sure to have a compression test done you would hate to buy a boat with a weak cylinder and spend $1800-4000 right off replacing a powerhead.

The EFI will have better throttle response, and should start a little easier, and better fuel economy than carbs.

After fishing years with aluminum boats and now 20ft fiberglass I will never go back to aluminum. Having the option of putting in at one ramp and running anywhere I want to go was the biggest selling point for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 22 ft bay charger. Works great on the two large lakes I fish. If you have never fished from a center console, give it a try, you won't be disappointed. So much more usuable space and when you are fishing with another person, you don't have to manuver around them. I run a Yamaha 150 4 stroke, gets me where I'm going plenty fast and the fuel efficiency,(very important with the price of fuel), is great. I added 6 rodholders per side plus with the spacious decks both front and rear, it's a very comfortable setup.
    Having looked at these for many years I finally broke down and got it and have been sooo pleased with it. With no carpet, it cleans up very easily. The deck is a non skid white surface that amazingly doesn't get hot in the blazing Oklahoma sun.
    I have fished from several types of boats and if I ever had to buy another boat, which i'm not!, it would be a bay boat of some type. The storage on it is huge. I will add the link showing it rather than listing all the stuff it has. Any questions just ask.

http://chargerboats.com/2230.html
    http://www.chargerboats.com/2230.html
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boat49
    I have a 22 ft bay charger. Works great on the two large lakes I fish. If you have never fished from a center console, give it a try, you won't be disappointed. So much more usuable space and when you are fishing with another person, you don't have to manuver around them. I run a Yamaha 150 4 stroke, gets me where I'm going plenty fast and the fuel efficiency,(very important with the price of fuel), is great. I added 6 rodholders per side plus with the spacious decks both front and rear, it's a very comfortable setup.
    Having looked at these for many years I finally broke down and got it and have been sooo pleased with it. With no carpet, it cleans up very easily. The deck is a non skid white surface that amazingly doesn't get hot in the blazing Oklahoma sun.
    I have fished from several types of boats and if I ever had to buy another boat, which i'm not!, it would be a bay boat of some type. The storage on it is huge. I will add the link showing it rather than listing all the stuff it has. Any questions just ask.

http://chargerboats.com/2230.html
    http://www.chargerboats.com/2230.html
    That is a lot of boat for a crappie boat. But it sure is a nice one! I love all that room it has.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    That is a lot of boat for a crappie boat. But it sure is a nice one! I love all that room it has.
    I do some striper fishing also and have spent several late nights searching for cats also. The room is hard to beat on it. You don't feel crowded after loading it up for long day or night of fishing. And those times when more than 1 wants to go theres still plenty of room for everyone. Drags the kids on a tube real well also!!! Which I have found is the best way to clean it out...they seem to bring alot of water into which goes right out the drains and into the lake. Come try it with me one time, I promise you will see what I mean...............Now, I'm going fishing!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot the best part ...........the 2 lakes I use it on alot are huge lakes and with the Oklahoma wind, it handles waves like champ. Wouldn't want to be out in anything smaller.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Scout, I have a 2003, 20' Harrington Crappie Master glass boat with 1992, 200hp Mariner on a tandem axile trailor that is for sale here in Hot Springs.

I and my elder son fished crappie tournaments and it's rigged and ready, all set exactly for what you're wanting it for. I tried guiding from it, but it wasn't that comfortable for taking several clients in, so I bought a larger center console. I've got a picture of it somewhere. Call me if you're interested -- 501-844-5418
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast