Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shallow fishing for crappie year round

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shallow fishing for crappie year round

Does anybobyd in here fish shallow for crappie year round and have success? It is a lot easier to troll up and down a bank throwing minnows then fishing in deep water.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not much

I've tried it in the past, but usually all I catch is very small ones and not very many of them. I've tried this in the summer and fall (never in the winter), but during the spring spawn is the only time I can catch any big enough to keep doing it this way. Hope this helps.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Read the press on this guide from Oklahoma. He fishes mainly shallow most of the time, off deep channels. I have met two people who have hired him to guide. Both said he is just amazing. He does not fish for Crappie like most folks. He finds new ways to catch slabs.

http://www.toddhuckabee.com/

This should help you shallow wise. I fish shallow alot just to see if any are around. But, have not caught any in quite a while.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb It would appear ...

that it depends on the waters/state that you fish in. Case in point - Reaper's link is an Oklahoma guy ... Louisiana & Florida anglers generally fish shallow ... some Mississippi oxbow anglers probably don't fish very deep ... and this link: http://www.bnmpoles.com/newsletter/053005/053005.html talks about a guy that fishes "just under the surface" at Reelfoot.
    Now, try that stuff at some of the lakes I fish, and you're going to catch some dinks (been there, done that) ... but, not much else. To me, and on the lakes I fish, "shallow" is less than 10ft deep. And yes, I've caught them from that depth of water ... in all four seasons. But, only at certain times of the day, on certain types of days (weatherwise), and not every time I've tried it.
    I seldom troll, preferring to cast with one pole at a time. With my luck ... trolling with several poles - watching the poles - watching the depthfinder - working the trolling motor - fighting the wind/waves .... I'd end up catching a dink on one pole, and while I was removing it from the line -- a Slabzilla would grab one of the other poles, and I'd miss the hookset :rolleyes:
    I get a kick out of the "tic" in the line, as much as I do when they "sock it" ... and when the fish is "there", when I set the hook, all the more fun !! :D ..... luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

CP the Legend! I know what you mean about the "tic" on the line. Thats all I have to think of and I'm hookin up the boat!! I too am in Oklahoma and have caught an awful lot of crappie in the 1-5 ft range, but if I want to catch the slabs I just go to the bottom and usually will find a few. I've tried trolling a couple of times , combined they lasted maybe 15 minutes. I would rather go tie to the two trees I've found and catch fish all day long. Using ultra light tackle even the dinks are fun!!! and as long as it's fun that's all that matters...
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bump!

I am gonna BUMP this, and several other threads back to the top. Everyone, stop exchanging barbs, and insults and get back on what we all hope to come to this board for. Thank you for your cooperation!

<,"}/>{ Tim Fahrenkrog
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids