Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: General Tso Crappie Recipe

Post Thanks / Like

Default General Tso Crappie Recipe

Tried this recipe the other night and it was mighty tasty. Thought I might share it with my fellow crappie cookers.

1 large egg white
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    3 tablespoons flour
    3 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine, or dry sherry
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 pound crappie filets, cut into 1-inch cubes
    1/4 cup fish stock (or chicken stock)
    2 teaspoons white vinegar
    2 teaspoons sugar
    Vegetable oil, for frying
    12 dry red chile peppers
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 tablespoon minced ginger
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/2 cup sliced green onions
    Green onions, sliced on the bias, garnish
    Hot steamed white rice, accompaniment

In a bowl, whisk together the egg white, 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch, 3 tablespoons of the flour, 2 tablespoons of the wine, and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. Add the crappie and toss to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours. (we only marinated our 20 minutes)

To make the sauce, in another bowl, whisk remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of the fish stock until smooth. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons fish stock, 1 tablespoon wine, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, the vinegar, and sugar and whisk to combine. Set aside until ready to finish the dish.

In your fryer, heat enough oil to 350 degrees F.
    Remove the crappie from the marinade and carefully slide into the hot oil. Fry, turning, until golden brown and cooked through, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.

In a clean wok or saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add the chile peppers and stir-fry until nearly black. Add the garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and 1/2 cup green onions. Stir-fry until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add the fish stock sauce, bring to a boil, and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute.

Take your crispy fried crappie and add them to the pan with the sauce while its hot and bubbling. Stir around and “roll” the crappie chucks in the sauce so they get evenly coated. Allow to cool and serve with rice.

~Fishin' Magician~

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I'll be trying that soon!

Thanks Magician! After seeing your pic, I'm starving! Thats my favorite style of Chicken as far as Oriental food! Sounds great to try with fish instead of Chicken. I can't wait to try it now.

A weird thing that I've been known to do and highly reccomend is to dip my chip sized (pieces of) filets in Salsa after they've been deep fryed. That is yummy while watching a Football game.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking outside of the "To Go" box! :p

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

MMMMMMM. Thanks. Might even work with chicken Glad to know it works with fish too. Another fine reason to catch a mess of crappie. Thanks for posting.
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats got wild turkey thats in my freezer written all over it.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite dish too..

Bowfin>>. I took that same dude with me fishing today! I believe he comes along on all my trips..Good to know from this end.

""""""John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.""""""""- Bowfin

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Man I order that chicken dish all the time I can't wait to try it with fish
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for posting magician im definatly gonna try it

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post Magician , I cant wait to try it out.My wife has been wanting that recipe for chicken so we'll probably try it both ways.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Emeril likes that recipe too... but his is the chicken version with some cashews thrown in.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._25561,00.html