Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: reg oil vs. synthetic blend vs. synthetic

Wardy Guest

Default reg oil vs. synthetic blend vs. synthetic

Geeesh, besides the price.... is there any real difference in performance?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy
    Geeesh, besides the price.... is there any real difference in performance?
    I emptied my tank and refilled using synthetic. I was hoping it would cut down on the smoke but it didn't. I couldn't really tell much difference in performance but then I don't get to open it up except when I go to Kerr Lake or the Chowan River. People say it is better for your motor but most of them are talking about the cars or trucks. Some say they get better gas mileage. BTW, I ran that test on an old 83 150 Merc.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Synthetics are more heat resistant, thus sludging is reduced. They suffer from less viscosity break down, too. But synthetics are a lot more expensive. If you don't have high heat issues, and don't mind changing your oil on a more frequent basis, synthetics aren't neccessary. I suspect claims of higher mileage with synthetics are more or less wrong (although honestly).
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you use DO NOT MIX THEM!!!

At minimum it will make your engine run like crap and at worst it can cause your engine to blow up. It makes a gooey foam with the consistency of marshmallow cream in your oil reservoir, which the oil pump can’t pump very well.

I wouldn't switch to synthetic without completely flushing all of the conventional oil out of reservoir, lines and oil pump.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

I know synthetic and syn blends cause less carbon deposits on the inside of your motor. Meaning you can get by with a once a year de-carb. Carbon on the inside is bad. It builds up on the cylinders causing wear on the rings, which eventually will cause a broke down motor. With a better oil, like Bombardier XD-50 it burns cleaner causing less build-up. Most people don't de-carb once a year as recommended so if thats you, running better oil will help.

But everyone should decarb once a year. With an evinrude or johnson you just buy a can of Motor Tuner and follow directions. All the motor manufacturers sell some type of decarb spray. Its easy too. You either hook it to the valve on the motor or spray it into the carb throats with the motor idling, then you let it sit a little while, then you run the heck out of it to blow all the carbon out. If you've ever seen the inside of a 2 cycle motor you've seen all the carbon that builds up.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Wardy Guest

Thanks.!!!! I think I saved some moolah!! We are restricted to 25 H.P here on my home lake. Everyone is always looking for "something extra" . I have run Sea Foam and Sta Bil on a semi regular basis. I just changed plugs and they were clean as a whistle. I suspect I just have a cold starter. Once she fires.... it starts all day without a hitch. I have been using just OMC oil but thought maybe I could run a smaller prop and bump the RPM's a fuzz without engine damage..hence a need for better protection.
    The motor is a three cylinder OMC 25 h.p. I have removed the oil injection and mix my own. These motor were notorious for the oil injection to fail. POOF!!! Jerry.. what about mixing in the gas tank...?

Post Thanks / Like

Wardy, I would get all of the gas out that has conventional oil in it before switching to synthetic oil.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wardy, I have been using pennzoil synthetic for years. It's cheap at walmart. About half the price of 2 stroke oil. I got oil injection, and it never gives me any troubles. Been using it bout 8 years now. Like Jerry said, use up the old stuff first. Dont mix the two....
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Wardy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    Wardy, I have been using pennzoil synthetic for years. It's cheap at walmart. About half the price of 2 stroke oil. I got oil injection, and it never gives me any troubles. Been using it bout 8 years now. Like Jerry said, use up the old stuff first. Dont mix the two....
    Thanks...I just got another gal of the omc stuff... gonna be awhile now...lol

again..Thanks.