Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hey Dwyane - White Lake Reds??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Dwyane - White Lake Reds??

While waiting for a catscan, a hospital-guy and I struck up a chat on the reds he said he's been catching in White Lake! He said he's fishing a shallow sand flat a ways out from the north bank, using spinnerbaits, and SIGHT-FISHING them! And he told me without stuttering that he and two buddies caught and released 71 - 71!! to 30 inches before ten a couple of mornings ago.
    Do you believe that? If so, I've got to head for that ramp on Schooner Bayou ASAP! Those are nice reds I've been catching in Vermilion Bay, but I need to hear a drag squall!
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sneakypete View Post
    While waiting for a catscan, a hospital-guy and I struck up a chat on the reds he said he's been catching in White Lake! He said he's fishing a shallow sand flat a ways out from the north bank, using spinnerbaits, and SIGHT-FISHING them! And he told me without stuttering that he and two buddies caught and released 71 - 71!! to 30 inches before ten a couple of mornings ago.
    Do you believe that? If so, I've got to head for that ramp on Schooner Bayou ASAP! Those are nice reds I've been catching in Vermilion Bay, but I need to hear a drag squall!
    Pete
    Yea Believe it or not Pete, I believe it! Probably wouldn't have a couple of years ago but after my cousin got on them one day last year and caught and released over 100, I believe him! We also sight fish them in the marsh, just like you would bass. Only difference is when you see a red splash, you are about 99.9% sure you can catch him! I will probably be out in big lake this weekend chasing them again! Plan on making a trip thrusday night too.:D
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Andrus Cove, La. (between Lake Arthur & Jennings)
    Post Thanks / Like

I am crabbing in White Lake and see boats along the south bank along the rocks almost daily. Haven't caught any in the crab traps yet, but have been getting several croakers and a few drum every day.

Warren
    The postings on this site by me, Marshrat, are opinion only unless specified as truth. I will not be held responsible for anyone using my opinions as an aliby to keep from getting in trouble with the law.:D

Post Thanks / Like

We caught a few along the rocks in a young gale on Tuesday - mostly small but a couple of two-footers.
    By the way, are you seeing the shrimp that we saw? Man, some of 'em were filleting-sized! At least seven to the dozen! Somebody's going to make a killing in schooner bayou this fall when the water falls with the first strong norther!
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, are you seeing the shrimp that we saw? Man, some of 'em were filleting-sized! At least seven to the dozen! Somebody's going to make a killing in schooner bayou this fall when the water falls with the first strong norther!
    Pete
    There won't be any shrimp if we keep getting these rains. All the shrimp will be flushed out by the time the season gets here.

I have only seen one shrimp in my cages, it was about a 40/50 count.

Warren
    The postings on this site by me, Marshrat, are opinion only unless specified as truth. I will not be held responsible for anyone using my opinions as an aliby to keep from getting in trouble with the law.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Can you push skimmers in White Lake or do you have to pull a bottom trawl?
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Can you push skimmers in White Lake or do you have to pull a bottom trawl?
    Pete

Yes skimmers are allowed from sunrise to sunset, same as trawling.

Warren