Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rigging a fishing pontoon...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rigging a fishing pontoon...

I'm on the tail end of my restoration, 1988 24' Party Barge, pretty much leaving it free of fixed furniture. I have 2 short fence rails on the front corners, I've drilled and tapped 2 pcs of 3/4 x 3/4 aluminum bar stock to mount atop these rails, giving me a variation of driftmaster rod holder mounting positions (up to 4 on each corner). I'll be doing the same on the sides once I decide where, and I make a bracket to strengthen the fence in that area. I'm trying to set this up so that the front 2/3 of the deck will be the fishing area, with plans of possibly adding some sort of shelter similar to a Party Hut at the rear.
    I've converted this boat to a center console, and plan to build a stainless baitwell/livewell forward of the console, which should be convenient to all fishing points.
    I also plan to build a simple, light, bench type seat across the back, with storage underneath for batteries and such. One back corner has the built-in fuel tank, the other originally housed the batteries ect., but I have an Onan electric start generator that I'd like to mount there. The generator weighs 113#, but I figure that would counterbalance the 19 gallons of fuel on the other side.
    Any comments or suggestions? I've seen and read alot of advice on different subjects here...alot of stuph that I hadn't thought of!
    TIA
    Last edited by snal; 09-21-2005 at 09:47 AM.
    Snal~
    1992 Alumacraft 14' Jon Boat w/ 15hp Johnson
    1988 Party Barge w/Rude 90hp (project finished!)
    1994 C Dory 22 Angler w/ twin Honda 45's
    7 Kayaks, 1 canoe
    www.snartracing.com (my other passion)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fred

Quote Originally Posted by snal
    I'm on the tail end of my restoration, 1988 24' Party Barge, pretty much leaving it free of fixed furniture. I have 2 short fence rails on the front corners, I've drilled and tapped 2 pcs of 3/4 x 3/4 aluminum bar stock to mount atop these rails, giving me a variation of driftmaster rod holder mounting positions (up to 4 on each corner). I'll be doing the same on the sides once I decide where, and I make a bracket to strengthen the fence in that area. I'm trying to set this up so that the front 2/3 of the deck will be the fishing area, with plans of possibly adding some sort of shelter similar to a Party Hut at the rear.
    I've converted this boat to a center console, and plan to build a stainless baitwell/livewell forward of the console, which should be convenient to all fishing points.
    I also plan to build a simple, light, bench type seat across the back, with storage underneath for batteries and such. One back corner has the built-in fuel tank, the other originally housed the batteries ect., but I have an Onan electric start generator that I'd like to mount there. The generator weighs 113#, but I figure that would counterbalance the 19 gallons of fuel on the other side.
    Any comments or suggestions? I've seen and read alot of advice on different subjects here...alot of stuph that I hadn't thought of!
    TIA
    I just used a friends pontoon that was rigged simular to your idea.but: facing the rear of the "toon" he has batteries around the motor, right corner has the gas tank with a small sink mounted over them, the left corner has a fold up covered potty. The total back is a cabinet with those items worked in. He has no permanant seating except for the console and two fishing seats outside the front railing, we used lawn chairs for seating wherever the fish were biting. You could make your rod holders movable for the drifting or still fishing. Just an idea. Don't know if you can get an idea from this picture of the Granddaughter helping me drive the boat. Fred
    Last edited by Ferdi; 03-13-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Fred...that pic is very similar to the rear of my project boat. I started building the rear bench last night...I need it for storage...should be large enought to store 4 folding cots for overnight stays, along with the essentials.
    Snal~
    7 Kayaks, 1 canoe

Post Thanks / Like

SNAL one thing I did to my toon is get one of those big storage boxes from Wal-Mart. They are similar to a truck box but sit higer and wider. I then had a trim shop make me a cusion for the top that matched the toon. Now I have 2 four foot WATER PROOF boxes that placed together make a heavenly bed when you throw in a little bedding. They are light weight enough to move and they have handles. We use one for the food, snacks and paper goods and the other for fishing gear, tools ect. Good luck and enjoy your night fishing ventures. The next 60 days should be great at night on a toon.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gooch! I'm trying to get this thing ready before the campground we stay in closes for the winter. We can still go in for camper maintainence, just can't stay overnight once the water is shut off....but we do have access to the boat storage yard and the launching ramps. I'm hoping that this toon will allow me to camp (and fish) on the lake thru the winter months if I care to.
    Snal~
    7 Kayaks, 1 canoe