Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need help fixing my pond

Woody76 Guest

Default Need help fixing my pond

Here's my problem: I'm in the process of purchasing 7 acres of land, and on this land there is a pond apporximately 3/4 of an acre. Well, the guy who built this pond didn't put a overflow in the pond and if I don't put one in, it will flood the county road on the edge of the property. Do you guys know of any websites that I could check to show me the best way to do this. Right now the plan is to simply cut a channel in the dam, insert a pipe, cover with concrete and fill back in. I also will be cutting an emergency spill way in the dam just in case there is too much water for the pipe to handle. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on pipe diameter that would be greatly appreciated as well. Luckily there is only about 5' of water in the pond now, and it still has about 10' of rise in it before it becomes a problem. Lastly, part of it still is dry and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for cover to put in this pond. I am currently looking at maybe getting some stuff from J and J, any other man made attractors I should be looking at to put in here. The pond is going to be almost exclusively Crappie and Bass. Any help or websites that you guys could suggest would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

If you live in TN the TWRA will give you good advice. Also, try Doug Markham @ DOUGOUTDOORS
    SD
    Last words of a dying redneck... "Hold my beer and................................. watch this..."

Woody76 Guest

Well, I live in Indiana. Perhaps I could contact DNR here locally.

Post Thanks / Like

Goverment just helped me build a pond on my farm in Cowgill. Used 6" pipe for overflow. Put steel collars around pipe in a couple of places to act as antiseep so water won't follow pipe outside. Not concreted just packed with dirt containing some clay. Hope this issome help.
    Department of soil and water conservation may also be able to help answer any questions.
    Getting ready to put some cover in mine also. About an acre in size.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgive the crude drawing but here is the idea:

We actually left the top of the PVC slightly higher than the culvert intake then drilled 1" holes in the pipe where we wanted the water level to be (helps to keep the drain pipe clear of blockages leafs, etc). We also attached a corrugated drain pipe to the concrete culvert to carry the runoff down the slope.

The only downfall to this method is that you cannot drain the pond below the elbow (or a cleanout) unless you pump it out.

Post Thanks / Like

I've built several overflow pipes for customers, here in NC they can get suggestions (some even mandatory) from the state and county officials. They'll help you determine the size needed according to potential inflow. I've heard some say that their insurance providers have made them do so.
    Snal~
    1992 Alumacraft 14' Jon Boat w/ 15hp Johnson
    1988 Party Barge w/Rude 90hp (project finished!)
    1994 C Dory 22 Angler w/ twin Honda 45's
    7 Kayaks, 1 canoe
    www.snartracing.com (my other passion)

Post Thanks / Like

My only concern is you mentioned putting crappie in the pond. A 3/4 of an acre pond is small, probably not a good idea to put crappie in it. crappie will eat up everything and overpopulate it more likely than not.

Post Thanks / Like

If you go with the overflow pipe, try mixing bentonite in the dirt that you replace around the pipe. Bentonite is a gelling agent that is used in the oilfield to make a water based drilling mud. It swells to 10X it's original size when wet and has been used successfully to stop leaks in ponds.---Pooch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar Matt
    Forgive the crude drawing but here is the idea:

We actually left the top of the PVC slightly higher than the culvert intake then drilled 1" holes in the pipe where we wanted the water level to be (helps to keep the drain pipe clear of blockages leafs, etc). We also attached a corrugated drain pipe to the concrete culvert to carry the runoff down the slope.

The only downfall to this method is that you cannot drain the pond below the elbow (or a cleanout) unless you pump it out.

I've noticed a few ponds, locally, that have the riser on the outside of the levee, set to the level they want the pond to be. The pond can then be drained by a valve on the bottom of the riser.---Pooch