Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake Millwood

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Millwood

Anyone know anything about Millwood??? I have been reading a lot of good things about it. Seems like all species bite well there.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished there for the 1st time this year. Very nice Crappie fishery, with very BIG Crappie in it. You stand a very good chance of catching a 3lber in there. There also are record sized Bass available for the taking in number there as well. I caught a 9.2 LMB up in Plum Creek (if my memory serves me right to it's name) located on the Eastern side of the lake. I guess that size of Green Carp isn't uncommon there at all!

Millwood is plastered just plastered with mainly standing Cypress and other types of trees. Several boat lanes are cut through the Lake for boat traffic though, and you will need to use them to get around by water. This is a large lake. It would take a full afternoon to drive around it(I did).

Bait can be tough to locate around the lake, with only a few shops in existance for such a large body of water. The camp grounds are very nice there though.

Watch out for the Gators! No B.S. about that, they are there in numbers. Also, outside of the boat lanes you must move about extremely careful. This lake has more boat eating stumps than any other I've ever been on, including Reelfoot which it is somewhat similar to.

I busted a hole during the tournament I was fishing at there this Spring. Really be careful in there. If any lake has TOO MUCH structure,, this one is it.

There is a CAST tourny coming up on Millwood on 10/1/05
    CAST Tourny

I hope I helped you some. Good luck, and post how you did if you get down to fish it. Full baskets to ya!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Last edited by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon; 09-23-2005 at 12:11 PM.
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking of going on a guided trip, but i might just head down there and try it on my own. I fish out of a john boat with just a trolling motor. Do you think i will be able get the job done with that? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmbutler47
    Anyone know anything about Millwood??? I have been reading a lot of good things about it. Seems like all species bite well there.
    I have fished it a couple times and did well. Everything is answered in your 1st reply. That is one stumpy mofo. I had a 14' V-hull w/8hp Mariner & tr
    motor and it was perfect. I found that having plenty of rope with and tieing
    a loop into a 4-5 ft length to hook onto wood with and tieing off to a cleat
    as I went stumpjumping with the tr motor covered alot of area. It's got so many trees that it's one of those places that even if you have caught a fish or 2 where you're at it's easy to get "grass greener on the other side syn-
    drome" and move on to another location. One thing I would do (been 10 yrs
    since I fished there) is use one of the superlines so that you will straighten
    out a hook rather than break off. Keep an eye on the sky cuz for a newcomer
    there is no safe AND comfortable way to speed off the water if you get caught in the open. I saw Bill Dance fish it on TV and am so ate up with the
    stupids when it comes to crappie fishin I wrote down the info and on one of
    my trips to visit my family in Minn. I took the "eastern route" back to my
    home then near Houston and fished it and then made a couple trips from
    TX just to go to it and stopped at Caddo or Lake O' the Pines at the same
    time. Can't remember where we got bait but I still have the # to the marina
    there and I'm sure they could tell you where the nearest bait is. Holler at me
    if you want it. The nearest town is Ashdown I believe. Good luck.
    Jeff
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja