Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: GPS Coordinates

Post Thanks / Like

Default GPS Coordinates

I tried marking these coordinates on my GPS and I think there is a major problem. If you click on Lat/Long it gives the coordinates for last years brush piles dropped in Oologah. I zoomed into the areas and moved the crosshairs to the proper coordinates they listed. According to my GPS some of them are well out of the lake. I am thinking that I may as well find the brush on my own and mark them as I go. I did set my GPS to require waas. I am not sure what happend or why they are so off. I think I will go over to the corp office and inquire about what the deal is.

http://www.swt.usace.army.mil/recrea...BrushPiles.htm
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

This might work.

double check your datum settings. not sure which are listed.
    most likely either NAD1927 or NAD1983 (North American Datum of year of adjustment) There are a few NAD83's, each followed by a slash and another year of adjustment to a GPS control net. NAD83/95 or some such. Don't know if your GPS unit will have the later, but most likely it does.

Choosing one the the later NAD83's will give you more accurate location of your GPS unit, but location of brush pile coordinate will depend on how the project collected and reported the data.

In either case you have to set your unit for what the project used. I will double check their website and see if they made note of a datum.

make sure you are not confusing degrees, minutes, seconds with decimal degrees or confusing decimal degrees with degrees, minutes, decimal minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

It appears to me the coordinates are listed two ways.
    XY looks like degrees dot decimals of degree

WN (Westing Northing) looks like degrees space minutes space seconds dot decimals of second.

My best guess would be a NAD83 datum coordinate because the orthophoto in the background is on a UTM projection (zone 14 or 15, I forget which this area is)with NAD83 adjustment.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks J, but, ya lost me about the second sentence. I am too new to this GPS stuff.
    I'll just mark the spots after I'v dropped a marker bouy over it, and can go back over to check it. Might be the easiest in the long run. I was hoping I could just plug in the coordinates. But, I couldn't find a way to do that. So, I decided to zoom in on an area of the lake on the GPS and match the coordinates that way, then mark it. But, they seem to be off. I don't know why their are two sets per brushpile either. I was trying to use the second set because it seemed to match my GPS reading better. But, the second set was one digit longer than my GPS.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you've got a plan that will work.

It won't take much to figure out the GPS. I tell folks its just like a cell phone. If you know what its supposed to do you just gotta hit the right buttons. I don't own one by the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Reaper I always zoom mine in as far as it will go to mark just to be safe that I get it sometimes mine loos like the points are on land but they are not I really like my garmin it is very user friendley which I need !!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I downloaded the enhanced maps that BR told me to from Lowrance. It does have Oologah on it. It's like an instant topo. It may be that when I was trying to set the corps coordinates, I was inside, not getting a good enough signal. I will check it out while outside. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Crappie Reaper; 09-21-2005 at 05:31 AM.