Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you hook the Minnow through the lips or up along his back?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you hook the Minnow through the lips or up along his back?

I get two suggestions on hooking a minnow up for Crappie.

One is through the lips from the bottom up! Not far enough back to kill it.
    Although I don't know for sure how far that is, because some of them get away if you don't go back far enough.

It seems to me, if you hook them through the lips they are going to die from not being able to take in fresh water for Oxygen.
    What do you think about that?

The other method is to run the hook through his back, just behind the Dorsal fin.

I'd like to see a photo or a good drawing of what you know is a tried-n-true method!
    :D
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Jiggin_Joe is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob knocked this one out of the park nice pic explains it all GJ

JJ
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/jokerpoker/logo.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thudpucker View Post
    I get two suggestions on hooking a minnow up for Crappie.

It seems to me, if you hook them through the lips they are going to die from not being able to take in fresh water for Oxygen.

:D

i dont hook them through both lips, just one
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Ya'll forgot one ....

Hooking the minnow thru the eye socket !! (NOT thru the eyeballs, though ).

When I use minnows, that is the primary way I hook them, when using hook/sinker rigging. When using a jig ... it's always "from under the throat, and out between the nostils". I've never "lip hooked" a minnow ... too easy for them to come off, or get knocked off by a Bluegill. I grew up "back hooking" them, as that was the way my Grandparents taught me. But, after finding out about hooking them thru the eye socket (behind the eyeballs), I pretty much gave up back hooking ... reason being, you don't always have to put on a new minnow, if you miss a hookset :p (like you usually have to do when back hooking them).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggin_Joe View Post
    Bob knocked this one out of the park nice pic explains it all GJ

JJ
    That pretty much says it all I agree
    My addiction is a cure not a disease.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm with Pappy.

I usually will hook them through the mouth and then up and out the top. They seem to stay alive for a long time and swim naturally. I do this when I'm front trolling (spider rigging).

Of course we grow some pretty robust minners up here in the north.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Bob put it all right up front. He answered all my questions in one little picture.

I'll have to try monkeying around with CrappiePappy's idea of hooking them up from the throat and out the between the Nostrils. That's bone and it should hold the Minnow in place no matter how much he don't like being there!

I've never been a fan of Minnows and worms. I like Flies mostly, but jigs are nice and clean too. Rubber goods would be OK, but instead of Crappie, I get Bass.

I'm desperate! A failure in the first rite. I haven't caught a Crappie when fishing for Crappie in my whole life.

Once I got a Crappie on Stink Bait while setting down a Trot line.

Another time (I had a house on a small stump lake) I was on my way back in to the house for lunch. I let out a Clouser, looking for a bass, as I rowed between the stumps.
    Just about the time I reached my Dock, something like to jerked the rod out of the boat.
    A big Crappie.

Another time, the wife was patiently fishing for Crappie with four lines out. I got bored, stuck my Crappie rod in a holder, picked up my Bass rod and threw a Lizzard at a big stump.
    As soon as the lizzard hit the water there was a big splash. I though it odd the lizzard made such a splash. Then I realized the Lizzard was swimming rapidly away. That Crappie weighed almost 4.5 Lbs. It was the biggest Crappie my Louisiana wife had ever seen.

Her family is used to heading for the lake, including Toledo Bend, and stopping when the wash tub is full.

I wish I could describe to you, what it was like in my Boat with my new wife, going for Rainbow in a small Alaskan lake. It was hilarious. We still didn't speak the same language and certainly she didn't understand my attitude of catching one or two for the sport of it, and leaving them in the lake.

She wanted to use a motor and I wanted to row.
    She wanted to chase every fish that jumped...she'd turn that boat on a dime and head for 'that' fish, until another one jumped somewhere else and she'd head off in that direction.
    We were never able to compromise on that issue.
    You cant fly fish sitting in the front end of a boat that's zig-zagging around the lake like a Honey bee in a field of clover.

I've been working all day on organizing my fishing gear and tuning my boat for Crappie fishing. I'll set out my Catfish trot line and fish for Crappie till midnight or so.
    Keep your fingers crossed for me.
    If you never hear from me again, it means I didn't catch another Crappie on my last trip and I'm out there somewhere eyeballing for Crappie with the Anchor line wrapped around my neck.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 07-11-2009 at 09:40 PM.
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

Post Thanks / Like

don't use em any more, but when i did it was between dorsal and tail

Post Thanks / Like

On a jig through the lips, under a slip bobber through the dorsal area

Fatman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast