Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAVE Tour Of Missouri Bike Race

Post Thanks / Like

Default SAVE Tour Of Missouri Bike Race

The Division of Tourism that sets the money aside for the Tour of Missouri was frozen by Gov. Nixon's administration. The state's commitment for the 2009 Tour of Missouri was $1.5 million. Without these funds, which are available and approved by the Tourism Commission, the Tour of Missouri will cease to exist.
    The past two years have helped generate nearly $60 million in economic impact for our state, and brought over 800,000 visitors to the race.
    Pretty good investment for approx $3 million.

Call Gov. Jay Nixon at 573-751-3222 and tell him to save our race!
    @lozcrappie

Post Thanks / Like

What A Joke,,,bet This Is Not Over As I Read That The People In Charge Of The Race Said As They Already Have Bookings And Things Set In Motion For This Race Based On Funds Promised Some One Is Going To Pay
    They Have Already Cancelled The One In Georgia Due To Lack Of Funding
    This Is A Big Money Maker For The State,60mil Over The Last Two Races
    You Would Think They Would Try To Entice More Things To Bring Money Into The State Instead Of Running Them Off,,,,jmo
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not really sure why a guy in Hannibal and Springfield Mo would want his taxdollars to be used to benefit an even that doesn't come near where they live.
    The money for this event should come from Corporate Sponsors, Local Sponsors and the Chamber of Commerce in the areas where the event is run where the hotels, restaurants and shops benefit from it. No State taxpayer money should be used for attracting tourism. That's the job of the businesses to work together.
    If I lived in your state I'd call the Gov. and tell him to cancel the funding.
    No worries though, if the funding gets approved, take a look at governors campaign funding next go around and determine who involved with this event benefited from it so they could benefit the gov.
    During America's youth, America's language was different: Liberty,was the primary object.

Post Thanks / Like

The tour is in it's infant stages right now and needs state help to get this event going. This is the third year and it has gone from a 6 stage race to a seven stage race, hopefully will grow as the popularity grows. It is also a major race with many top world teams competing. (many of the same riders in the Tour de France)
    Each year the plan is to start and end in either St. Louis, or Kansas City, then the other stages go around the state. This year they will concentrate on Southeast MO and Southwest MO. In the past it seemed like it was concentrating on NW MO and Central MO. As it grows more stages will be added hopefully to cover much of the state
    I don't totally agree with your statement that taxpayer money shouldn't be used to promote tourism. But that's my opinion. It seems like a small price to pay to generate 20X the economic impact that it has shown so far in it's infancy. Soon the tour will be able to support itself.

Viva La Tour
    @lozcrappie

Post Thanks / Like

Spend 1.5 Mil...show Case The State World Wide (THAT ALSO MAY ATTRACT OTHER EVENTS) and Get In Return A 30 Mil Input .....no Brainer,,but Thats J M O ,,,,
    NO DIFFERENT THAN THE TOURISM MONEY SPENT ON A PRO BASS FISHERMAN OR SPENT ON A INDY CAR A FEW YEARS BACK
    BY THE WAY WHAT IS THE TAX MONEY THAT THE STATE TAKES IN ON THE 30.MIL
    Last edited by old fuzzy; 07-10-2009 at 05:57 PM.
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by old fuzzy View Post
    Spend 1.5 Mil...show Case The State World Wide (THAT ALSO MAY ATTRACT OTHER EVENTS) and Get In Return A 30 Mil Input .....no Brainer,,but Thats J M O ,,,,
    NO DIFFERENT THAN THE TOURISM MONEY SPENT ON A PRO BASS FISHERMAN OR SPENT ON A INDY CAR A FEW YEARS BACK
    BY THE WAY WHAT IS THE TAX MONEY THAT THE STATE TAKES IN ON THE 30.MIL
    The article listed said 60 million in economic impact for the state.
    Not exactly sure that means tax revenue for the state. I've seen economic impact used to describe the amount of dollars brought to businesses within the state and local entities.

Anyway I accept we differ in opinion. I believe those who benefit directly should be the ones who subsidize by their choice, you believe a person's coerced money should be used to subsidize a potential for additional revenue to the state under the notion the tax revenue will be used to lower income tax burden. Is this correct?
    During America's youth, America's language was different: Liberty,was the primary object.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to think there would be some tax revenue generated from the 60 million dollar impact. While I don't think it's enough for the state to retire right now, it wouldn't seem like it's a big loser.
    And as this event grows, less state money is needed, and corporate sponsors increase, it should be a lucrative event for the state, and local businesses. The first year, I was amazed at the turnout, saw stages around springfield and St. Louis, and the roads were packed. Never would have thought that. This year, I've heard it was suppose to have expanded TV coverage on either VERSUS or ESPN2. So again, a big chance to showcase MO. both towns and countryside!

Have a good day all!
    @lozcrappie

Post Thanks / Like

let me say this, contracts are signed, lawyers are at the ready, If Mo. cancelles, law suits will follow, these riders are big business and are treated like commodities and expect to be paid for there participation is this race and if you cancell the race. well they are going to get paid one way or the other. mtcw

Post Thanks / Like

it'll be interesting for sure either way
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Damn bike races are taking over my favorite fishing channel, VERSUS!!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast