Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: We need a little advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Default We need a little advice.

Me and a couple of friends are going to North Myrtle Beach for a week in August. I have only been salt water fishing a couple of times, and that was on a chartered boat. We thought about fishing for reds, or pretty much anything that will bite. We will be fishing from a private pier in an inlet. If anyone could give us some advice on what bait to use, etc. ... it would be greatly appreciated.
    This is my first thread, and I hope I'm doing this right!

Thanks for all of your help! :D
    WISHIN' I WAS FISHIN' !!!

Post Thanks / Like

in salt water shrimp or crack crab

Post Thanks / Like

If you're fishing from a pier, take your cast net and after a couple of throws, especially at low tide you will catch what the fish are feeding on and use it for bait. Was down there this past weekend and the creeks are full of bait fish and shrimp. Caught plenty of bait but not much luck with the fish. With all of the available food for the fish I suppose they were full.

Post Thanks / Like

For people not to familiar with salt water, your best bet would probably be bait shimp on the bottom. Use 1/4 to 1/2 lead heads, thread shrimp on, cast out and hold on!
    Good Luck.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

shrimp is the saltwater version of a nightcrawler-something will always eat it!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks For All Of Your Advice! I Hope We Have Some Luck And Catch Some!
    WISHIN' I WAS FISHIN' !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't fish the inlets but I fish MB routinely. Drop me a PM if you have any more questions.

A live mullet, mud minnow, or shrimp on a Carolina rig (main line > egg sinker > bead > swivel > 18" 20-30 lb leader > #2 - 3/0 hook depending on bait) will catch any flounder or drum around. You can catch them in a cast net, but you need a saltwater license starting this year to fish or cast net anywhere other than a pay to fish ocean front pier in saltwater.

Flounder like a slowww retrieved live bait (since they lay on the bottom you need to move the bait around). Cast out, let sit 15 seconds, lift your rod tip moving the bait a few feet, wait 10 seconds, rinse and repeat.

If you like bass fishing or something similar and know how to work them, some good artificial plugs to throw are the 52MR Mirrolure in color 808 and 21. Mirrolure Catch 2000s work good too.

Good luck, and feel free to drop me a PM if you need more help.