Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to site, 1 question

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to site, 1 question

I'm new to the site and fairly new to crappie fishin but i can't get enough of it!:D

The place that i fish doesn't produce to well but when you do catch them they are lively and put up a great fight, plus they are beutiful fish.

My one question is what lure have you found to produce the best?

Thanks

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefishin View Post
    I'm new to the site and fairly new to crappie fishin but i can't get enough of it!:D

The place that i fish doesn't produce to well but when you do catch them they are lively and put up a great fight, plus they are beutiful fish.

My one question is what lure have you found to produce the best?

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum from Indiana

The best lure or bait is what ever they hunger for that day.
    Their taste will change from day to day.

One day they want jigs, no meat, then the next

PS
    The coffee pot is on
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

for me its a 1/8 round red head with a 2"white curly tail fished supper slow. (4#line)

welcome to the site

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished for days at a time where I could limit with minnows and couldn't buy a hit on a jig, and I've seen it exactly the opposite. Usually depth is more important than anything else. Most days, the "wrong" color will still catch fish, but maybe not as many as another color, and the fish may favor minnows over jigs or vice versa, but put the "perfect" bait at the wrong depth and you'll be having beanie-weenies for supper instead of fresh fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks everyone, i have actually never used minnows for crappie, when i'm targeting them i usually use trout lures and i found this one that i had a lot of luck on but then, after i saved it from a bull frog, a turtle swallowed it...so that lure is no longer...

but again thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  welcome.gif
Views: 317
Size:  8.7 KB From Toledo Bend Texas!

I make sure to have a good selection of type jigs, colors, etc. and lots of my own. In the spring I really like Roadrunners so I hand tie them for my self and once summer sets in I probably use more hackle tails on my jigs, but still have the marabou around. Not much of anything I know of has better action than marabou. Lots use hair jigs, but for me my choice is feathers.

I changed weights too and spring mostly 1/32 and late spring I add 1/16. Once summer gets here I mostly use 1/8 & 1/4 for the deeper water and they also help in the wind.

Also in the summer day or night I use a jig on bottom and a minnow above that like 12"-18".

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from S.C. to C.c I use minnows & jigs the most for crappies.
    Live and Learn."Life's short fish Hard"

Post Thanks / Like

I fish several different small lakes and reservoirs from 20 to 250 acres..... I have a different go-to lure for each lake. One shallow stained lake is micro (1/64-1/100 oz.) silver chenille jigs. One 30' deep super clear lake is trolling shad-raps or #7 floating rapalas. One I fish nuthin but minnies or wax worms.

Keep switching up till you find what they want, if you fish trout, match the hatch works the same way for crappies, just keep your eyes open to whats in the water. BTW.... Welcome from Northern Ohio!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum. If you 'Just can't get enough of it,' you have come to the right forum. As for the favorite bait, each fisherman has their 'go to' baits. I like tube jigs in red/white; red/char; black/char; blue/white; white/char; all tipped with crappie nibbles or minnows depending upon the bite.

Actually I like live bait when the bite is tough. I rig a 'drop shot rig'; a bell sinker on the end and 18" above the sinker a loop knot w a crappie hook & minnow and another 12" above, yet another hook & minnow. That's just me.

May recommend Ken Sutton's book? Query the archives and you will be able to come up with the info needed to get it. It's just a great book on crappie fishing that will arm you with the basics. Again, welcome aboard. Be sure and share your trips with us. <><

aj

Post Thanks / Like

Jigs and minnows, one day they want one then the next another, then the next a combo of both. And then sometimes no matter what you throw they won't touch it.

Ya just gotta find what they want.

Fatman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast