Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opossum Lake Drawdown

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opossum Lake Drawdown

Well it appears they will be draning Opossum Lake to not "repair" but rebuild the dam with money that they dont even have yet. Looks like after its drained there probaly will not be any fishing here for atleast a few years. Kinda sucks b/c theres some quality crappie in here. Usually after stuff like this the lake gets restocked with fingerlings and usually takes atleast 3 yrs to start seeing decent sized fish. Just a bummer in my mind b/c its so close to the house. Lets hope it doesnt take them 5 yrs like it did some other lakes that needed dam repairs.

Post Thanks / Like

Well that pretty much sucks!!! When did you hear about them draining it?? I had heard from one of the rangers that they may drop it down a bit but not totally drain it..

If you find out anything let me know??

Tux

Post Thanks / Like

Tux, check out the PFBC website they have a big article on it. www.fish.state.pa.us

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tube4Slabs
    Tux, check out the PFBC website they have a big article on it. www.fish.state.pa.us
    From reading the article, it looks like it may be the best thing with it seping and what not.. Hopefully they'll put in more than just fimgerings to get the lake on a healthy bounce back...

Tux

Post Thanks / Like

Just found this site today. I live close to opossum lake and fish it often. Sure was disapointed when they drained it. Last summer the fishing was not too good but previous summers were great. I guess I will have to find a new crappie fishing spot. I have herd crappie fishing can be good at raystown lake anyone have any experience.

814jeffw Guest

Hi Paw Paw,..I live in Hesston,..about three miles from Raystown Lake.The Crappie fishing can definitely be great here.Not sure how familiar with the area you are but Shy Beaver boat launch is a good starting point to start fishing.You can find Crappies all through the lake but I usually concentrate on the southern end starting at Aitch boat launch.Trees in the water and a few beaver huts to fish around.Although the fishing has been good the size has seemingly gone down a little(in my experience anyhow).This is a very nice area and I am glad to live here.Smallmouth fishing has been good here also.There is a launching fee,...you can buy seasonal or per use pass at the launch.Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

Pawpaw, I also was bummed when they drained it, i loved chasing those crappies around up there, I'm sure I bumped into ya up there a time or two, I was always the young guy up there fishng for them, most other guys were the old timers. Anyhow, Pinchot lake might be worth your time, its a shorter ride then to Raystown and alot smaller. It holds some really nice slabs, just might take ya a little while to learn the new water. If you wanna meet up over there sometime let me know.

814jeffw Guest

Something you may also want to consider is that Raystown is an unlimited horsepower lake.I wish there would be a restriction but it will never happen.Not bad early in the season though.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi 814jeffw Thanks for the input on raystown. I am aware of the boat trafic problem from years ago but my tracker sould handle it. I may come up and try it this spring. when would be the best time to come. Are there launch fees on all ramps and how much are they.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi tube4 slabs. I am one of the old guys. Thanks for the input on Pinchot. I have fished there a few times over the past few years. Mostly for bass but have also tried for crappies. I caught a few but nothing of any size. I guess I just have not found the right spot yet. I will be spending more time there this summer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast