Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: un-freakin-believable!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default un-freakin-believable!!

stjoenews.net | A fee for using less energy?

Gist of the article is that power companies can raise rates because people are using less power due to energy efficient programs??

Ya'll are smarter than I,whats your take...am I missing something?

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me were going to get charged one way or the other according to that article. I especially dont like the part about the thermostat that the electric company can control in my house.

Post Thanks / Like

“To save power is the equivalent of making power,” Nixon said, “and it’s a pretty seismic shift” in Missouri’s energy strategy.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

Doesn't that mean the exact opposite of what they are trying to do. If saving power is the "equivalent of making power," shouldn't you be rewarded for that?

Guess that's politics for you!

Post Thanks / Like

A poorly written article, imo.

I *think* what they're legislating is this:

The demand for power is so high that we (the electric companies) need to build more power plants or buy more power through another provider in order to meet demands. This costs us money, and we can pass those costs on to our customers.

-OR-

We can implement programs for our consumers to use less power, like providing them with free programmable thermostats or (like they do at PCEC) come out to your house and do a free home energy inspection to tell you where you can do a better job of saving energy.

These programs do two things at the same time: cost the electric company money, and take money out of their pockets since you're using less.

If I'm reading the article correctly, (which I may not be doing!) they are getting the gov't to allow them to pass the costs of these programs on to the consumers. So...in a way, they're really not "free" anymore, because everyone will have a surcharge on their bill now, but...whatever.

I think that's what they mean by "To save power is the equivalent of making power". That by saving it, we don't have to generate it. It's the same thing, and since we can build more power plants and pass those expenses on to the consumer, why can't we pass these expenses on to the consumer as well, since it is effectively the same thing?

All part of a greener planet, right? (Greener pockets more like!) But contrary to popular belief, conservation ain't free.

I got mixed opinions about it. Can see both sides.

Post Thanks / Like

A plant running near peak costs a lot less to the customer than one that running at 50% most of the time. It's the same in all types of mfg.
    I asked my Dad a question a few years ago when I compared utilities to our mfg. process. asked him how long it would take before the supply would exceed demand with all these conservation programs and how much our rates would climb. I'm all for less usage of energy, but there's a balance between the two that yield the best value.

The bigger deal in all of this is this HR 2454 American Clean Air and Security Act. Cap and Trade Legislation our Federal House Approved June 26th. They approved the bill without a completed document availble to the legislature and most of the congress people didn't even know the majority of what was included in it. Some independent organizations estimate this bill will double our utility bills within 10 years.
    Write Kit Bond and Claire McCaskill and tell them to vote this SOB down in the Senate.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

it's more like "crap and trade"! KCPL has already announced that electricity costs will go up by 50%

and what gets me is how that certain companies who heavily lobby with obama, will get extra carbon credits for free.
    Why do I have to press 1 for English?

Post Thanks / Like

democracy is a goal to be attained, the self rule. if the majority of Americans didn't like what the govt was doing, there would be a revolution. darn left wing media on cable news is obsessed with celebrities and local news is homicide, sports, and weather, so most people have no idea.

we are literally in the middle of a cold war and our politicians want to talk about gay marriage, "global warming", and other Bul!$h*t!!! makes my blood boil

Post Thanks / Like

Democracy:
    The pathetic believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

as Winston Churchill once said: "Democracy is the worst type of government in the whole world, except for all other types".

Post Thanks / Like

Guess ole Winston didn't understand the Republic form of Government.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast