Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: casting lightweight jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default casting lightweight jigs

What kind of set ups are you guys using to cast jigs 1/8th oz and less. My spinning rod set ups are giving me a problem with line tangles and such. I have tried 6 and 8 pound line, should I try some 4lb. Just seems to not be enough pull on the retrieve to spool the line back on the reel well enough.
    What should I do? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you might have something wrong with the reel and/or the line.

I have no problem casting 1/32 and 1/16 on 4# mono. I've never used heavier jigs or heavier line.

For 1/64 oz jigs, 4/1 Fireline works really well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post

I have no problem casting 1/32 and 1/16 on 4# mono. I've never used heavier jigs or heavier line.

I agree with you if i cast jigs i do the same thing, the only thing you might add is when you fill the spool leave about 1/8 showing on the spool it will help to keep your line from jump,n off the spool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by i-catch-cartags View Post
    I agree with you if i cast jigs i do the same thing, the only thing you might add is when you fill the spool leave about 1/8 showing on the spool it will help to keep your line from jump,n off the spool.
    Yep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post

The reel is fine. I have never used 4#. Maybe that is what I should try in order to get some decent distance on the cast.

Post Thanks / Like

Get ya some real magic and peel off some of that line. I shoot a lite jig 3/4 of the time of the year especialy shooting docks and i had that problem till spooled on just the line distance i needed. You can do it but ya really have to designate a unique set-up.the more line you have on spool the more it will back up if you dont have a nuff tugg or weight.

P/S youre write it does make the differance!

Crappie Dale

Post Thanks / Like

I cast 1/16 oz jigs on #6 mono line with no problems. I use a 7' med spinning rod with a extra fast tip and a pfluger president reel. I will say cheap line=problems, not being spooled correctly=problems, being over spooled=problems, wrong rod and or reel for application=problems. Casting light jigs everything has to be right or you will have problems. It isn't like cat fishing where you can use just about any set up and do OK.
    www.Crappiepredator.com
    www.Rendlakefishingguides.com
    618-472-4763

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I wholeheartedly agree with Mean Green 2 about the rod and the reel. They act as a team and the better the match up the better the results. I have a couple of rods that seem light enough and fast enough to cast 1/32 jigs but don't. I can huff and puff all I want and all I get is about 20' out of them. Then I have others that will cast that distance with a flip of my wrist. Most rods come with line size and lure weight recommendation stamped on the rod. This is a good starting point. Another point is if you constantly make short cast, say 8 to 10 feet after a while your line will be real loose on your reel causing problems. So every now and then sling one out as far as you can and reel it in while holding pressure on your line with you thumb and forefinger so as to wrap it tightly on the spool. Hope all of this helps you to some trouble free fishing.

"gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

What size reel are you using? If it is a 1000 series, consider up-sizing to a 2000 or 2500 series which have a larger spool diameter and won't cause the tight spirals in your line that cause the "loops". Also, keep the line tight on the reel, use reel magic occasionally, make sure the line isn't on the relel backwards, all of the above.
    Last edited by Redy2Fish; 07-07-2009 at 05:03 AM.
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

I started light line jig casting back in the early 90's for bluegill. Typically we throw 1/64 and 1/32 ounce jigs all day long. The 2 most important things I have found are the line and the spool diameter. Experiment with different lines and find one you can cast a 1/64 with. Make sure you don't spool it on the reel backwards and don't over fill . Secondly, don't go for the small diameter spool reels marketed as ultra light reels. Just what Redy2fish said here.... a tight wrap will not throw well. I personally use a 5' ultralight and my friends use 5 1/2 footers. I like shimano spirex reels... 1000 series are ok. Currently using Fireline green in 4 lb test. It not only casts well, but I can fish timber and a steady pull will retrieve 90% of my jigs when hung. It is a little pricy though. Just takes experimentation with different lines to find what you like best.

HHD
    GnawMart Tenderloin Sandwich Prostaff, Gnawbone Indiana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast