Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Night Fishing for bait

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Fishing for bait

I know that night fishing for crappies with lights attracts minnows. Has anybody try catching the minnows with a large dip net? or is it mostly shad? Thinking more of something easier to keep alive for extended time like baitshop minnows. Heres a pic of Jann,s Netcraft bait net 16" by 10"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Nightprowler; 07-06-2009 at 05:36 AM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Prowler ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nightprowler64 View Post
    I know that night fishing for crappies with lights attracts minnows. Has anybody try catching the minnows with a large dip net? or is it mostly shad? Thinking more of something easier to keep alive for extended time like baitshop minnows. Heres a pic of Jann,s Netcraft bait net 16" by 10"
    I don't think the "minnows" you see under your lights, are actually "minnows" (as in the baitshop kind). They're usually Shad, with the occasional Silversides ... at least they are on most lakes I've fished.
    That bait net probably wouldn't get many Shad or Silversides .... they're pretty fast :p
    BUT .... if you ease along the bank at night, with a light hanging over the side of the boat (towards the bank) ... if the light is followed by several pencil shaped "minnows", you could probably dip those up with that net. Those are Silversides ... and one of, if not THE, best Crappie bait going
    You're not likely to catch Shad in it though ... you'd probably need a cast net (plus a circular bait well/bucket & aeration).
    You might be able to get some creek minnows with a net like that ... but, even it would have to be shallow. A seine does a much better job, if the water is much over knee deep.
    I think the primary purpose of that "bait net" ... is dipping from a "cement pond" :D (aka - baitshop minnow tank).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with pappy!!! Those little thread fin are pretty fast most times you try dippin they,ll scoot right out of your net I,ve got a minnow trap some times you can put some bread or dog food inside & catch a few. If you can throw a net & catch the bigger shad they make good stripe & cat bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya gota be pretty fast but you can catchem. And they work really well.

Post Thanks / Like

Default how about this idea

how about this idea, Not scooping the bait with the net, but bringing the bait to the net? The idea is with a spot light, pull the minnow/shad from your night light to the net using the spot light??? Next trip I'll try it and how it works.....or not