Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left hand or right hand?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Left hand or right hand?

This may seem odd (it does to everyone I fish with), but I'm right handed and when I'm fishing and finally find out the color and presentation that the fish want, I can take my right hand and catch about 5 times more fish with it than I can with my left hand using the same presentation for the same amount of time in each hand. I try to pay very close attention to my right and try very hard to copy with the left, but it just doesn't work. I just about always am vertical jigging in the same areas using both hands. I fish 1 pole alot and swap hands (so I don't get tired :rolleyes: ), but I also use 2 poles with one in each hand at times. I've also noticed that I catch bigger fish with my right over my left. Just wondering if any of you have noticed the same thing or am I just odd ? Mine is extremely different and has been noted by several people without me mentioning it to them. Maybe I can start a right handed or left handed debate!! :D
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

My advice, stick with the right hand because it works and it sounds like your right hand is the "right" hand for you.
    Question: Do you hold your mouth different between the left and right hands?
    LET IT RIP!

Post Thanks / Like

I also use a pole in both hands and it doesn't make a difference as to which hand I catch fish with. I haven't paid attention if the bigger fish are coming on my right hand or not, as long as they are coming, I am happy. The only problem I have is when I get hit on both poles at the same time. I will always drop the rod in my left hand and put my foot on the pole and catch the right one first, unless the left one pulls harder then I will take that one first.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I am right handed and I hold my spinning reels in my left hand and reel with my right hand. Everyone tells me I use it backwards. I have always used it this way and dont even think I could use it the other way. I have never had trouble catching fish this way. How do you guys hold your spinning rods

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Oh boy ....

here we go with the "righty - lefty" thing :D (I've seen this one get waaay out of hand, before) So - I'll leave it on the main board, as long as we just state our preferrences, and don't get judgemental about others.

As for me - I'm so right hand dominant, I use it to "help" my left hand do the simplest of tasks. I cast/reel a baitcaster with my right hand - but cast right handed and reel left handed with a spinning outfit. It's how I learned to use them, and I don't see any "downside" to it. I'm too clutzy with my left hand, to use it for accurate casting ... but, it works fine for the slow winding retrieve I use with a spinning reel. And since I switch hands, when using a baitcaster, I have the accuracy of a right hand cast and the control of a right hand retrieve. I've learned to "cast" a baitcast reel, from my right hand ... "into" my left hand ... as the bait flies thru the air. This "switching hands" action comes so naturally, that I don't even think about it ... and I don't really feel like I'm "wasting casting time", by switching hands.
    Most baitcasters have left hand retrieve models (for lefties, and non-switching righties). And most spinning reels, these days, come with the ability to place the cranking handle on either side.
    For me - there's three components to a good cast/presentation - accuracy, retrieve speed control, hookset speed/rod control ... in that order. Accuracy is first, because you have to place your bait in the proper place, to present your lure. Retrieve speed is second, because that determines the action/depth of the bait, which gets it into the strike zone and keeps it there the longest possible time. Hookset speed/rod control are third, because you have to get a bite and hook the fish, before they are even needed. That doesn't diminish their importance, though. Once you see/feel the hit - hookset speed determines whether or not you get a hook into the fish ... rod control determines whether or not you get the fish under control and into the boat. I want my right hand to be the dominant factor in these components - so, that's why I cast & retrieve the way I do. IMHO, that's the "right" way to do it ... for me, anyway.

I've even seen people, using a spinning outfit, with the spinning reel upsidedown (above the rod handle) and winding the reel "backwards" ... I get a fleeting urge to go over and smack them on the hand, and show them how to "properly" use that setup :rolleyes: -- then I realize ... hey, it's working for them, leave 'em be That's my philosophy on the "righty vs lefty" debate ... no real need for any "debate" - if it works for you, feels comfortable, and you catch fish doing it -- then why change ? ..............cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Misunderstood

I think the right hand-left hand spinning reel arguement is amusing, but I throw a spinning reel, casting reel, any kind of reel either left or right handed and use either hand to reel. I was talking about veritical jigging with a jig pole (which is my main preference for fishing) and wondering if anyone else catches fish more predominantly with one hand over the other such as I do, or if I'm just an oddball. I was just joking about the debate. :D
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Moose ,i Know A Lot Of Canadian,s Who Winter In Fl.
    A Whole Lot Of Them Are Right Handed And Play Golf Left Handed Because Of Playing Hockey
    I Tried It One Day And It Was Easy,re To Hit It Leftyand I,m Right Handed
    Does,nt Make Sense
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if it matters what hand I use the most. Really don't care. I figure God gave em to me to use however my body wants to do it.
    I do know, however, that my fishing partner is a "lefty". I am a "righty". We never seem to have any problem fishing one side of the jon boat and never seem to get in each others way. I usually sit the front and him, the back.
    We can flip sides of the boat without any trouble too.
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

I think you were asking if you catch more in which hand when using 2 poles at the same time if I'm right. I too fish with a jig pole in each hand and really have not noticed catching more with my right hand, I'm righthanded, but then I always start out with different colors on my 2 poles. I have noticed that I catch more with one of the colors and if it is a great difference I will put that color on the other pole. If the bite is slow I change colors a lot. Maybe I should change weights more often than I do also. I usually am fish along a drop off and have one line at a lesser depth, maybe 1' or 2' shorter. If the bank is on my right I will put the short line in my right hand and vice verser. If a flat they both are the same depth or close to it and I don't try to put the hot color in any one hand, just have never noticed any preference.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

90 per cent of the population is right handed and 10 per cent left handed. 20 per cent of the population (including right and left handers) have crossed or mixed dominance. That means their dominant hand/arm, foot/leg, ear, and eye are not on the same side of the body. Even in people who have all these things dominant on the same side of the body do not exhibit the same degree of dominance. Some people have very strong dominance and some very weak dominance. Usually the dominant hand is more skilled than the nondominant hand. For instance, in figer tapping, the dominant hand will outperform the nondominant hand. So, it may be that when fishing you set the hook faster with the dominant hand and are not missing as many hits. Also, the dominant hand may be more sensitive to the tap of a light biting fish. The weaker the dominance, the less difference you will have between the two hands. This could account for why two right handed people may experience considerable difference in the fish they catch with the right hand over the left hand.
    Ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast