Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider Speed?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Speed?

Hey BG, was wondering what speed you are moving when slow trolling the spider set up. I have read that some fluctuate between 1.5 mph and 2.0 mph. My trolling motor is only 26lb thrust. I can get to 1.8 mph if I am with the wind. I screwed up and sold my more powerful trolling motor and left this POS on the boat that came with it.
    I never ventured out of Talala Creek today as the wind was horrid. One fish came out of standing timber, the rest came off points. The bite was much slower than normal. I caught maybe 15 fish from about 9:30 to 3:30. It was a tough day to locate them, and every fish I found, seemed to be a loaner. Never hit an area that produced multiples. I did see about a 2lber break the surface chasing shad. This happend twice, and I worked the area for three passes thinking I might get lucky. Not.
    Looks as if I am going to have to invest in another trolling motor.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Your trolling motor should be fine at times you can troll faster but most of the time it is just barely moving and you always just about face the wind which might be the only problem for you with a small motor. Acutally you really just hover and slowly work the piles and around them as the fish sometimes suspend away on the outside of the piles about the only time I troll at a faster steady pace is post spawn when the fish are scattered and not really relating to cover that much Most likely I will be back up there this coming Sat as I wont have much time to prefish for the CAST tournament next month because of the CRAPPIEMASTER Classic I have to get ready to roll out for it

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

None Of My Business But If I,m Over .4 --.6 Gps Speed My Catch Falls Off
    Got To Go Into The Wind
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for making it your business Frank, I don't have that much experience slow trolling. Any suggestions are worth trying.

Post Thanks / Like

Any chance a 18 foot pontoon with 50HP Honda and no trolling motor would fit in here?

Sounds stupid I know, but I spent a hour or so trying to figure how to get this boat out of my driveway. It was practise. Tree, Fence, Mailbox, ditch, culvert, narrow road, etc. None being my friend. I gotta find a 2" hitch ball with a skinny shaft to fit my lawn mower. Current situation is not going to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nothing is Stupid, we've all been there.

Quote Originally Posted by jrfwmf
    Any chance a 18 foot pontoon with 50HP Honda and no trolling motor would fit in here?

Sounds stupid I know, but I spent a hour or so trying to figure how to get this boat out of my driveway. It was practise. Tree, Fence, Mailbox, ditch, culvert, narrow road, etc. None being my friend. I gotta find a 2" hitch ball with a skinny shaft to fit my lawn mower. Current situation is not going to work.
    If I remember correctly, your RV is the only vehicle you have to tow your pontoon with. If that's the case, it sounds like practice will be the key. Those who are new to backing trailers often have trouble. It sounds as if where you are parking your pontoon is a place for a more experienced backer upper. The RV portion does not help you either. Consider making an adjustment to the culvert by widening your driveway entrance a bit. This could make all the difference in the world if it is a short run from the ditch, to the parking area. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

M y2 cents worth ,verry veryy slowly is how my crappie like the presentation.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Well let me add my 2¢ here if I may. I like anywhere from 0 to 1.5 MPH. Depends on what they want that day.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va