PDA

View Full Version : Hook sharpness Gold or Bronze

rocket rich
07-05-2009, 05:09 AM
Which is sharper, Gold or Bronze does the plating of gold give a duller point?? I say Bronze?? What do you think

CrappiePappy
07-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Which is sharper, Gold or Bronze does the plating of gold give a duller point?? I say Bronze?? What do you think

Now I know why your user name is Rocket "Rich" :p

Seriously, though ... I think it has more to do with hook brand/style than with color. And I also don't think needle sharpness is necessarily needed on a fishing hook (for Crappie, that is) ... I've used rusted hooks, bent hooks, dull hooks, etc. and still stuck them in the fish. One would be surprised at how much psi force is generated on hookset ... even using 4lb test line and a UL. Couple that with, even a blunted hook, against the inside of a fish's mouth (let alone the soft tissue of the lips) and you would wonder why we don't always rip a hole in them :D

... cp :cool:

slipbobber
07-05-2009, 09:03 AM
I agree with crappiepappy in that crappie hooks don't really need to be that sharp but always carry a small file to touch up a hook that doesn't seem sharp enough.

Fatman
07-05-2009, 10:15 AM
If you follow the golden rule of checking hook sharpness against your fingernail, it's never a problem cause you'll know you need to file it sharp. Doesn't matter to me what style of brand of hook, if it dosn't stick in the nail it gets sharpened.

Fatman

rocket rich
07-05-2009, 11:44 AM
well said, My fellow fishing friends. But???? which is better in your opinion?????? and it does matter??? opinions that is.....

slipbobber
07-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Never have noticed any difference between gold or bronze as far as fish catching ability. The gold plated hooks seem a little softer, easier to pull free when hung up. I have noticed a difference between the cheap hooks and the more expensive premium as far as the hook being sharper out of the box, still don't think the crappie care one way or the other. You can add red hooks in there to, all they are is gold hooks painted red. My 2 cents worth.

foul hook
07-05-2009, 02:14 PM
There are some oldtime crappie fishermen that wont use anything but gold hooks. Sharp or not. Personally I like a red hook. I have a diamond stick that I have had for 25 years that keeps my hooks sharp. They do get dull.

kycreek
07-05-2009, 02:40 PM
I try and use the gold.

dedawg1149
07-05-2009, 07:04 PM
i like the bronze they are always really shard most of the time

jimfish
07-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Red sickle;;;;;

gabowman
07-05-2009, 08:07 PM
I learned to catch crappie 30 years ago on gold hooks. Now all I will use is bronze. Go figure...:confused::o

I never really compared the two, I just THINK that bronze is sharper, 'course I always sharpen my "new" hooks and open the bend slightly before using any of 'em.;):)

skiptomylu
07-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I think the sharpness is by brand. Example Gamakatsu makes all kinds of hook and they are all as sharp as any.

Sickle Red hooks are just coats Gold hooks and all Red hooks I have tried are Gold.

I think also it is more important with some fish more so that others. With Crappie; sure I think it helps, but I also think it is more important when fishing for Bass or lots of other fish. I think you can get away with not so perfect hooks when fishing for crappie and some time it may cost you a fish or two, but for the most part most hooks work.

Sickle hooks are sharp and that is the main thing that got me using them for my tying and fishing when I got to using them in early 2006. I hate to need to sharpen a new hook.

Skip

Eager Beaver
07-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Personally I don't care for a really sharp hook. The point will bend over if you hook into the bone instead of penatrating. A really sharp hook will hook the brush a lot easier really sharp than if it is just sharp out of the package. I use the gold aberdeen hooks and the red hooks mainly. For Bass I use strickly Gamakatsu off set hooks and they are really sharp right out of the container. For Walleye I use a colored bait hook and don't care for it to be really sharp either so it will go into the jaw better without bending the point. EB

dmann436
07-06-2009, 06:57 AM
[QUOTE=Fatman;838146]If you follow the golden rule of checking hook sharpness against your fingernail, it's never a problem cause you'll know you need to file it sharp. Doesn't matter to me what style of brand of hook, if it dosn't stick in the nail it gets sharpened.

I agree 100% fatman, gotta hang my fingernail or I sharpen it. no dull, bent or rusted hooks for me.